COLUMN: Trio of Trice, Valentine and Dawson must find consistency

<p>Senior guard Travis Trice takes a jump shot during the game against Maryland on Dec. 30, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Terrapins, 68-66 in double overtime. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Senior guard Travis Trice takes a jump shot during the game against Maryland on Dec. 30, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Terrapins, 68-66 in double overtime. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

It’s been well documented that MSU needs its trio of senior guard Travis Trice, senior forward Branden Dawson, and junior guard Denzel Valentine to play well each and every game if MSU hopes to maximize its potential.

In a rematch with Maryland, the trio didn’t do what they needed to en route to a 16-point loss. Trice and Valentine were almost nonexistent in the first half, combining for just two points but also five turnovers.

Trice, who scored 26 points in a Dec. 30 loss to Maryland, didn’t score his first point until he knocked down a three with 13:22 left in the game. He finished with five points.

Valentine scored five points toward the start of the second half to pace the Spartans, but he finished with  just nine total points. Valentine also turned the ball over twice.

Statistically, Dawson was the most impressive of the three, finishing with a double-double (14 points, 10 rebounds) but he missed too many shots around the basket, finishing 6-of-12 from the field. He was visibly frustrated, putting his hands on his head after the misses continued to pile up.

Despite the misses, Dawson was the most impactful Spartan on the court throughout the game. He had four blocks, and although his 'motor' has been questioned at times, he's been terrific since Big Ten play began.

Trice has also been impressive recently and a big reason why MSU started the conference at 3-1 before today’s loss. However, he took a step back today. Scoring is not always a given, especially against a solid Maryland defense, but he posted just one assist to four turnovers and didn't appear to be locked in.

Trice and Valentine are both captains, but in an important conference game, they didn’t step up as captains should. MSU needed a signature win, and it needed its top players to get that win. 

The roller coaster season will go on as long as it takes Trice, Valentine, and Dawson to piece together complete games, especially against top level competition.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Trio of Trice, Valentine and Dawson must find consistency ” on social media.