Nairn's first start a success for MSU

Freshman brought energy in first career start, sparked the Spartans to victory.

<p>Freshman guard Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn Jr. attempts a point Jan. 5, 2014, during the game against Indiana at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 70-50. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Freshman guard Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn Jr. attempts a point Jan. 5, 2014, during the game against Indiana at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 70-50. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

The first start of Lourawls Nairn's career perhaps came sooner than expected, but his energy in the starting five helped an MSU team in need of a conference win.

The freshman guard got the start over senior guard Travis Trice on Monday and helped the Spartans (10-5 overall, 1-1 Big Ten) dominate Indiana (11-4, 1-1) at Breslin Center, 70-50.

Head coach Tom Izzo made the switch to bring some balance to the rotation. Bringing Trice off the bench lends more offense to the second unit and left junior guard Denzel Valentine and junior guard Bryn Forbes as the lone shooters in the first unit.

Trice and Valentine were also sick, giving Izzo more reason to give Nairn the nod.

"(Trice) was run down a little bit last night and (Valentine) didn't even practice yesterday," Izzo said. "So I just decided that between that and the fact that we got some rotation problems. When we start the three shooters, now we bring in (Nairn) and a guy like (Alvin Ellis III) and all of a sudden we have two shooters out. It would be nice to keep two in and rotate one."

Izzo, who is still figuring out his rotation, said he doesn't see Nairn starting as a permanent solution. Freshman guard Javon Bess could eventually see time in the starting lineup.

Regardless, Nairn's defense on Indiana junior guard Yogi Ferrell was a huge reason why MSU saw its best first half of the season, badgering the 2013-14 second team All-Big Ten awardee into a 6-of-16 shooting night.

"Tum did a great job, especially for his first start," Trice said. "They got a great backcourt and he did a good job. And even being confident to step in there and take some shots, in other games he's been hesitant to."

Nairn didn't know he would start until Monday. He called the opportunity a blessing.

"It's an amazing feeling to start a game under coach Izzo," Nairn said. "Words can't explain how I felt. I'm going to play hard regardless whether I play two minutes, 25 minutes, zero minutes. I'm going to give it my all regardless. But it was a different feeling tonight."

A reluctant shooter, Nairn was a little more aggressive on offense than usual, draining a midrange jump shot just a few minutes into the game. He also used his quickness to get into the lane several times and finished the night with seven points and two assists.

"I would say it was a result of confidence, my teammates giving me confidence, my coaching staff giving me confidence," Nairn said. "I know how teams are going to play me now so I know teams are going to be sagging off. I know it's going to be open opportunities and I just went in there with confidence and knocked them down."

Izzo likely will continue to tinker with the rotation, as he's said several times this season he's still figuring out his team. At 10-5 overall, the Spartans aren't where they usually are at this point in the season. But Monday seemed to be a step forward.

More performances like MSU's against Indiana, which saw dominant stretches of defense and a huge game from senior forward Branden Dawson, who had 14 points, 13 rebounds and two blocks against Indiana, will only help the Spartans through Big Ten season.

"I mean, we were 9-5 and we're not used to that kind of record around here," Nairn said. "We just wanted a home win and it feels great. Thank God for the win and thank God for my teammates."

Share and discuss “Nairn's first start a success for MSU” on social media.