MSU drops rematch to Maryland 75-59

MSU had plenty of motivation going into Saturday's road rematch against Big Ten newcomer Maryland. But through 40 minutes, the Terrapins proved themselves one of the best teams in the conference.

No. 14 Maryland (17-2 overall, 5-1 Big Ten) swept the season series against MSU (12-6, 3-2) Saturday, 75-59. The win comes a couple weeks after beating the Spartans 68-66 at Breslin Center in double overtime on Dec. 30.

Maryland freshman guard Melo Trimble was stellar, scoring 21 of his 24 points in the second half. He and junior guard Jake Layman, who finished with 23 points and 12 boards, helped spark a 19-4 first half Maryland run that put the game away early.

The Spartans entered the game looking for their first win over a top-25 team of the season. But lackluster shooting from deep (3-of-16) and from the line (4-of-13) hindered MSU's ability to compete.

It didn't help that senior guard Travis Trice scored just five points on 2-of-8 shooting with an uncharacteristic four turnovers. The Spartans also could've used more from junior guard Denzel Valentine, who had five rebounds and six assists but only scored nine points.

Senior forward Branden Dawson finished with 14 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks, and junior forward Matt Costello was the only other MSU player to reach double digits in the scoring column with 12 points.

Similar to the first meeting, it was a slow start for both teams. But after failing to take advantage of early opportunities, MSU managed to take a 10-5 lead at the 13:06 mark behind solid post play from Dawson and Costello.

Maryland responded with a 9-0 run, with seven of the points coming from Layman. He made his mark from several spots on the court, converting post moves and 3-pointers.

Trimble was also huge, knocking down a triple off a screen to push Maryland's run to 16-4 and give the home team a 21-14 lead.

The Maryland freshman guard continued to turn up the heat on the Spartans, sinking another triple to give the Terrapins a 27-16 lead.

Dawson stuffed Maryland sophomore forward Damonte Dodd at the rim on a dunk attempt, and the defensive play seemed to give the Spartans a little more confidence. Valentine's jumper at the 4:09 mark trimmed the score to 29-22.

But Maryland resumed its pace on offense behind Trimble. Trimble's crossover on Nairn, which sent the freshman guard to the ground, and ensuring triple gave Maryland a 40-26 halftime lead.

Dawson missed several good looks at the rim early on that could've narrowed the score. Maryland had no such problem, stretching their lead to 17 at the 12:28 mark.

Trimble's 3-pointer at the 11:07 mark gave Maryland a 60-40 lead and essentially iced the game.

Dawson's breakaway slam at the 5:26 mark gave the Spartans a late highlight play, but the game was already out of reach as Maryland led 63-44. MSU got within 12 with a few minutes left, but Maryland took care of business at the line to snuff any semblance of a Spartan comeback. 

Share and discuss “MSU drops rematch to Maryland 75-59” on social media.