Martin Luther King Jr. Day events ahead

Project 60/50 Gala

Jan. 17 at 6 p.m. at the Huntington Club in Spartan Stadium

The Project 60/50 Gala will be a celebration of the project and its year-long conversation of civil and human rights at MSU. Guests can enjoy cocktails at 6 p.m. with special acknowledgments of the project given at 7 p.m. The event was coordinated by MSU’s Office for Inclusion.

“Speaking Like King” Featuring Mayhem Poets

The slam poetry trio, the Mayhem Poets, will perform at the MSU International Center in celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Project 60/50. This slam poetry night will be centered around the Civil Rights Movement and include an open mic performance at the end of the show.

To read a story on the group, see page 13.

“Jazz: Spirituals, Prayer, and Protest”

Jan. 18 at 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. at Fairchild Theatre in the Auditorium

The College of Music presents “Jazz: Spirituals, Prayer and Protest” with performances from jazz orchestras and the Grammy award-winning gospel sextet Take 6. The concert will be in celebration of King‘s birthday.

See Tuesday’s paper for a story on the performance

MLK Student Leadership Conference

Jan. 19 at 9 a.m. at the Union

All students are welcome to the Student Leadership Conference commemorating this year’s civil rights theme, “A Tribute to Project 60/50: Crossing Borders, Breaking Barriers, Building Bridges.”

With the day off from classes, students will be able to take this opportunity to hone their leadership skills while paying tribute to MSU’s Project 60/50 and King.

Greater Lansing Area Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Commision 30th Annual Luncheon

Jan. 19 at 10:30 a.m. at the Lansing Center

The 30th Annual Celebration Luncheon in honor of King will be held Monday at the Lansing Center. This year, the theme is, “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy,” a quote from King.

Doors are open to the public at 10:30 a.m. and food will be served at 11 a.m.

Music of the Dream Concert

Jan. 24 at 7 p.m. at Wharton Center Cobb Great Hall

The Greater Lansing Area Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Commission presents a night of spiritual gospel music that exhibits the spirit of the civil rights leader himself. The spiritual music will address key issues that still exist today from musicians such as Tamela Mann, Tye Tribbett and Geoffrey Golden.

Share and discuss “Martin Luther King Jr. Day events ahead” on social media.