Fridges should be a source of healthy eats

<p>Prenursing freshman Jana Rasch shows what she keeps inside her mini fridge in her East Akers dorm room. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.</p>

Prenursing freshman Jana Rasch shows what she keeps inside her mini fridge in her East Akers dorm room. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.

But while many students keep snacks in their fridges, there are certain items that can be a healthy and quick alternative to student favorites.

Gina Keilen, a registered dietitian with Culinary Services, said items with protein and fiber, like jerky, trail mixes or protein bars can be good options and give energy.

“I would look for items that are shelf-stable and portable so you can keep them in your backpack,” Keilen said. “It can be hard to focus on a long lecture when your stomach keeps growling.”

Prenursing freshman Jana Rasch and her roommates keep snacks like pickles, cheese and apples in their fridge because of how convenient it is.

“It’s way easier than having to walk all the way down to the (dining hall) ... it’s much simpler,” Rasch said.

Rasch also said she likes to have a water filter in the fridge because “the water (at MSU) is pretty gross.”

To keep fruits and vegetables safe from spoiling quickly in a minifridge, Keilen suggested not storing the foods close together.

“Fruits give off a gas that can cause veggies to spoil a little faster,” Keilen said.

Some foods may lose nutritional value more quickly and Keilen said some measures can be taken to prevent this from happening.

“Letting fruits and veggies ripen at room temperature and then putting them in your fridge will help maintain their quality,” Keilen said. “It’s also best to not wash or cut your fruits/veggies until you are ready to eat them.”

Kinesiology sophomore Steve Miller keeps mostly Gatorade, milk and cherry juice in his fridge, and occasionally leftover takeout food may find its way in, too.

“I like having a minifridge because it keeps things cool, you can put milk in there,” Miller said.

He said almost every time he or his roommate open the fridge, they check to make sure nothing has spoiled.

When storing drinks in a minifridge, Keilen said liquids like milk are generally safe until about one week after the printed “sell by” date on the container.

“Milk is best kept on the shelves in your fridge versus the door because that tends to be a warmer part of your fridge,” Keilen said.

Share and discuss “Fridges should be a source of healthy eats” on social media.