Michigan becomes seventh state to see measles

On Jan. 23, the Michigan Department of Community Health confirmed Michigan's first measles case of 2015. 

The case involves an adult from Oakland County and the case may be connected to the recent Disneyland outbreak but no confirmed connection has been made. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Michigan is now among seven states to have reported the disease. 

More than 50 cases have reported nationally this year. 

Measles is a respiratory infection which can result in pneumonia, hospitalization and death. It can, however, be prevented with a vaccine. 

Dr. Matthew Davis, Chief Medical Executive with the Michigan Department of Community health said in a statement the best way to prevent communities from becoming infected is by getting vaccinated. 

"As we are seeing with the recent outbreak in California, measles is a highly communicable disease that can affect both children and adults,” Davis said. 

Infected individuals could be contagious a few days before showing symptoms of measles. 

The disease may prevents itself with a high fever, red eyes, cough and runny nose followed by a raised body rash which begins at the head and progresses to the rest of the body. 

Share and discuss “Michigan becomes seventh state to see measles ” on social media.