Izzo not happy with trio of Dawson, Valentine and Trice following loss

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo coaches senior forward/guard Branden Dawson on the sidelines Jan. 5, 2014, during the game against Indiana at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 70-50. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo coaches senior forward/guard Branden Dawson on the sidelines Jan. 5, 2014, during the game against Indiana at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 70-50. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

The men's basketball team was completely outmatched against No. 13 Maryland Saturday in College Park, losing 75-59. On Monday, head coach Tom Izzo pinned part of the loss on the play of his vets — senior guard Travis Trice, junior guard Denzel Valentine and senior forward Branden Dawson

The Terrapins made a point to shut down Trice and Valentine, and they succeeded. Trice managed just five points on 2-of-8 shooting with an uncharacteristic four turnovers opposite of one assist. Valentine was better, posting nine points, five assists and six rebounds on 4-of-9 shooting. 

Dawson had a double-double with 14 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks on 6-of-12 shooting but missed several close looks that could've brought the Spartans within striking distance throughout the game. 

"I’ve been disappointed with the consistency of our three guys," Izzo said. "We’ve been a little up and down on that. That has been disappointing." 

Trice and Valentine have been MSU's two most consistent scorers this season, but Maryland's size was overwhelming. The guard duo saw very few open looks throughout the game, and MSU's other shooters were unable to compensate. 

"They have tremendous size and that bothered us," Izzo said. "It bothered us. We talked about being ready to shoot. Trice and Valentine were not ready to shoot and you don’t get another second when there’s 6-foot-10 guys coming at you as perimeter players."

Dawson's shooting percentage could have potentially been north of 50 percent had he made the easy shots Maryland's defense handed to him. That, coupled with MSU's lack of perimeter defense and inability to shut down freshman guard Melo Trimble and junior guard Jake Layman, prevented MSU from picking up its first win over a ranked opponent.

"You put those two things together that’s 10 points on the board in the first half so instead of being down four you’re down 10," Izzo said. "You’re exactly right. You don’t get to do that on the road. That’s a pretty good team. They got size, they got scorers, they got a point guard that came out of nowhere."

Not counting Texas Southern, all of MSU's losses this season have come against ranked teams with a combined record of 64-9. Izzo believes the Spartans have proven they are capable, but the need for a signature win remains pressing. 

"I think we know we are good enough to play with some teams, but you have to have your best players play well," Izzo said. 

Share and discuss “Izzo not happy with trio of Dawson, Valentine and Trice following loss” on social media.