The flu vaccine is only 23 percent effective, but get it anyway

<p></p>

If you haven’t heard, the Centers for Disease Control recently announced that this year’s flu vaccine is only 23 percent effective. While it’s not the worst vaccine we’ve ever had, the news can be discouraging.

With flu season bearing down on us, it’s worth brushing up on some flu prevention information.

I was unfortunate enough to spend my New Year’s Eve lying on the couch with a hefty supply of tissues and orange juice, feeling miserable. My brother brought home the flu for Christmas and infected everyone in my house. I never had a chance, but you do. Olin Health Center offers some tips on how to avoid getting sick, but that advice is worth some elaboration. I learned a lot, and I don’t want anyone to make the same mistakes I made.

Wash your hands. This advice is standard, but many still choose to ignore it. There is no greater prevention for illness than cleanliness. Invest in some hand sanitizer and use it before you eat or touch your face. Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands, as germs can travel through any mucous membrane in your nose, mouth and eyes.

Stay away from people who are sick. This is easy for some people, but impossible for others. If you’re stuck in the dorms and have a roommate who has the flu, spend as little time as you can in the room. Find a healthy friend and stay with them for a few days. Buy a lot of sanitizing wipes to clean hard surfaces in your dorm room, and avoid direct contact with your roommate. They might be offended, but it will pay off in the long run.

Get the vaccination. It may not seem worthwhile with the low effectiveness rate, but the shot will still give your immune system a boost against common strains of the flu.

If you do happen to get sick, there is still hope.

Invest in the good tissues. Anything that has lotion in it is great for saving the sensitive skin around your nose from cracking and scabbing.

Live on vitamin C. Orange juice is great and so are supplements. I personally love the Halls Defense Vitamin C Drops, which provide throat relief as well as an immune system boost.

Eat! You might not feel hungry and the sight of food may make your stomach turn, but your body needs calories to fight off infection. If solid food is too unappealing, drink smoothies to soothe your throat and get some nutrition. You do need to stay hydrated, after all.

Theraflu works absolute wonders, though you need to be careful on the dosage — each packet of dissolvable powder contains about 1,000 mg of acetaminophen. But it does a great job of reducing fevers and easing pain. Combined with Mucinex, you might almost feel like a real person for a while.

Finally, get a lot of rest. If you’re feeling particularly bad, make the trip to Olin Health Center or another medical center to get a doctor’s note and take a day or two off from class. Believe me, your professors would rather have you out of class for a few days than infecting the entire classroom.

February is the peak flu season, so stock up on hand sanitizer and get that shot. Twenty-three percent may not seem like a lot, but it can make a world of difference.

Share and discuss “The flu vaccine is only 23 percent effective, but get it anyway” on social media.