Monday, March 18, 2024

Sloppy salting, shoveling of sidewalks a liability for MSU

<p></p>

Black ice is not as obvious as freezing temperatures, but that is exactly why it is such a problem.

With warmer weather, the snow banks begin to melt and flow onto the sidewalks and trails around campus. Once the sun sets, these small pools of water freeze. The result is an extremely slick ice that is virtually invisible.

I had the joy of experiencing this Sunday on the River Trail by Farm Lane. Originally I brushed it off as dumb luck and went on my way, but the more I walked around the more I started to think otherwise.

Kalamazoo and Bogue streets, Harrison Road and Shaw Lane had sidewalks that were just as bad. I had to wonder why there wasn’t a better effort to keep the sidewalks safer for students.

When I got up Tuesday morning to head to class I was relieved to see that the sidewalks were freshly plowed. Clearly there is some effort to keep the sidewalks and trails safe, but the issue was the same. There was still ice everywhere.

This is such an easy problem to solve; all it would take is some extra salt to melt the ice. Additionally, the salt would make it much harder for any water on the ground from freezing into new ice.

With such an easy fix I can’t help but wonder why laying down salt isn’t as big of a concern as plowing snow.

Let’s be honest, the university isn’t plowing sidewalks as a favor to anyone. MSU has no problem making students brave the elements. If MSU will risk students losing appendages rather than issue a snow day, then it has no problem with students’ feet getting wet and cold.

The only logical explanation is that MSU doesn’t want injuries to occur that could lead to lawsuits. However, if that is the case, why not lay down the salt and make everything that much safer?

This seems like cutting corners, and while I assume it saves a good amount of money I do not think it is worth it. After all, is public safety really going to be the part of the budget that doesn’t make the cut?

Even though my slip only caused a bruise to my pride, I don’t doubt others have encountered worse.

I care about my university; I just wish it did a better job of showing it cared about me and other students.

Share and discuss “Sloppy salting, shoveling of sidewalks a liability for MSU” on social media.