MSU, East Lansing schools faced violent false threats last week

Last Monday police issued a lockdown for East Lansing schools after a vague shooting threat was reported on Yik Yak. On Tuesday, finance freshman Matthew Michael Mullen, 19, was arraigned in East Lansing’s 54-B District Court by Judge Richard Ball.

Mullen, a Northbrook, Illinois, native is charged with calling in a false threat of terrorism and was let out on a $10,000 bond . Mullen will appear in court again Dec. 4 for a pre-trial conference, and then on Dec. 5 for a preliminary examination.

On Tuesday police again found themselves dealing with a threat of violence, as a bomb threat was reported to campus. After the announcement, a secure in place order was issued for all campus buildings, although some buildings remained unlocked. Students on Twitter reported multiple buildings evacuated, like the MSU Surplus Store, while others, like the Eli Broad College of Busin ess library, followed lockdown-type procedures.

The secure in place advisory was lifted after MSU police found the threat to be “a hoax,” and deemed campus safe . The entire ordeal lasted about a half-hour.

As of Sunday, MSU police reported they had no new information to disclose regarding the bomb threat, saying the incident is still in the early stages of investigation.

Share and discuss “MSU, East Lansing schools faced violent false threats last week” on social media.