Students in need of holiday cheer can attend MSU's Home for the Holidays performance at Wharton Center

While the holidays are filled with numerous traditions, MSU students can create a new Christmas ritual in East Lansing before heading home to their families.  

Presented by the College of Music, MSU's Home for the Holidays performance is scheduled for Dec. 6 at 4 p.m. in the Wharton Center's Cobb Great Hall. 

With over 300 musicians involved, the event will include traditional Christmas music performed by several groups including the MSU Symphony Orchestra, the University Chorale, the Santa Sax Quartet, a barbershop quartet called Ebb N' Flow, the undergraduate ensemble called the MSU State Singers, a jazz quartet, and the MSU Community Music School Handbell Choir and  Children's Choir. 

While the MSU Symphony Orchestra has maintained the tradition of putting on holiday concerts for many years, the new format incorporates characters and storytelling to create a theatrical Christmas show, according to director and co-writer, Kevin Noe, professor of music and director of MSU Orchestras.  

"This gives you an hour and a half snapshot of the dream Christmas and allows you to focus on that part, and your family, rather than some of the practical concerns of Christmas in 2014," Noe said.

After redesigning the performance three years ago, Noe said the new show remains popular, with positive feedback by both MSU students and families from the community who attend. 

As this year's performance will resemble the exact show from last year due to audience feedback, Noe said he hopes that by "cultivating the right elements of ritual into the show," there will be pieces that audience members are looking forward to every year. 

“Christmas is a ritual," he said. "Christmas in America has a certain kind of identity and we try to capture that since it only comes once a year."  

Tickets for the performance are available at the Wharton Center Box Office, or online at whartoncenter.com for $20. MSU students can purchase a discounted ticket for $10 with their ID. 

Share and discuss “Students in need of holiday cheer can attend MSU's Home for the Holidays performance at Wharton Center” on social media.