Perception of MSU as a party school depends on who is being asked

Outsiders may have a flawed perception of the frequency and amount of partying students participate in. Many of the stories and assumptions are true, but many are also false.

“The frats are exclusive here, you have to know people,” neuroscience sophomore Sam Bagnasco said. “I feel like that’s because greek life here is a big deal, whereas at other schools they don’t put such an emphasis on it.”

Bagnasco hadn’t visited MSU until she arrived at her academic orientation program. She said that she thinks perceptions of MSU being a party school is true, but it is the result of the high number of enrolled students and its infamous school spirit.

“With our school being in the Big Ten and having so many opportunities to celebrate such as the Rose Bowl and our past GameDay, it’s only right to live it up,” she said.

Biochemistry junior Nick McNamee said MSU’s party reputation slightly influenced his decision to enroll. His expectations were not met.

“I had cousins that attended MSU and they told me party stories they experienced that were way crazier than what I’m experiencing now,” he said.

McNamee also said it depends on where you live.

“Obviously living in Cedar Village is a step up,” McNamee said. “Being here does increase your chances of drinking on an average night. ”

Applied engineering sophomore Brandon Mathews said that his experiences at parties have had a relaxed feel. Mathews said his party experiences at other universities such as Central Michigan University and Western Michigan University have been more focused on having fun as a large group.

“People at other universities go out to exceed their limits and want to look back on their experiences at parties,” Mathews said. “People here (MSU) are always focused on who they’re going to hook up with next. That’s the goal here.”

Packaging sophomore Samantha Murphy said at MSU there’s enough people here and many opportunities to party. She said at smaller universities, everyone always wants to go out, but at MSU it’s not that imperative or as easy.

“I’m in a sorority now so it’s easy but last year it was a lot harder,” Murphy said. “You had to go searching for them. If you don’t try you can just sit in your dorm room and not do anything and not feel that bad about yourself.”

According to College Atlas, MSU is not listed in the top 10 party schools in 2012, 2013, 2014 or the projections for 2015.

Share and discuss “Perception of MSU as a party school depends on who is being asked” on social media.