Men's basketball looks to bounce back after loss, leads The Citadel 32-26 at halftime

Gavin Schilling had a strong first half that is proving to be the difference

<p>Sophomore forward Gavin Schilling attempts to pass the ball past Texas Southern forward Nick Shepherd Dec. 20, 2014, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Tigers, 71-64. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Sophomore forward Gavin Schilling attempts to pass the ball past Texas Southern forward Nick Shepherd Dec. 20, 2014, during the game at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Tigers, 71-64. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

At halftime, the men's basketball team leads The Citadel, 32-26.

Sophomore forward Gavin Schilling leads the Spartans with nine points on 4-of-4 shooting.

The Citadel stayed close early, but a 10-2 run helped the Spartans take a 17-10 lead with 12:51 left in the first half.

After a cold shooting performance against Texas Southern on Saturday, MSU established the paint early with strong results. Junior forward Matt Costello and Schilling had nine of MSU's first 17 points at that point.

The Bulldogs sliced the lead to one at the eight minute mark after a series of missed shots by the Spartans. Four minutes later, they took the lead on a midrange jumper, 25-24.

The Citadel's Quinton Marshall cut backdoor and dunked on Colby Wollenman on an alley-oop to retake the lead, 26-25.

Senior guard Travis Trice found junior guard Denzel Valentine at the end of the half, capping a 7-0 Spartan run.

Share and discuss “Men's basketball looks to bounce back after loss, leads The Citadel 32-26 at halftime” on social media.