Night Owl bus provides late-night transportation on campus

<p>Spanish sophomore Efren Moreno enters the night owl Nov. 6, 2014, at the MSU Library. Moreno called the night owl to pick him up and take him to his dorm after a long night of studying. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Spanish sophomore Efren Moreno enters the night owl Nov. 6, 2014, at the MSU Library. Moreno called the night owl to pick him up and take him to his dorm after a long night of studying. Raymond Williams/The State News

Photo by Raymond Williams | The State News

Spanish junior Efren Moreno’s daily routine lasts into the early hours of the morning. Juggling classes and two jobs plus fraternity requirements, Moreno still goes to the library to study after his long day.

“The only place I can definitely study without me taking a break like ‘Oh, I need to watch YouTube videos or something,’ is the library,” Moreno said.

When he’s done studying, it’s too late for Moreno to take the Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, bus back to his residence hall.

“Every time I’m (at the Main Library) or anywhere on campus, I call the Night Owl,” Moreno said. “They pick me up and drop me off in front of my dorm — just to be safe.”

The Night Owl is a CATA service that provides rides for M SU students after the CATA buses have stopped running for the night. The Night Owl will pick up students anywhere on campus and take them to another on-campus destination.

Laurie Robison, director of marketing for CATA, said the Night Owl transportation service has been offered since 1999.

“It gives our campus riders peace of mind knowing that transportation is available late at night and in the wee hours of the morning,” Robison said.

Students rely on the curb-to-curb Night Owl transportation service for different reasons.

“When it was really helpful was last semester when we had a terrible winter,” Moreno said. “I was working in the Pavilion and I had to walk from there to Holden, which was like a 30-minute walk. I called the Night Owl and they would always come pick me up every night.”

Marketing freshman Yoo-Jin Jeong said she typically walks home late at night. Jeong is concerned about her safety, but isn’t familiar with the Night Owl service.

“I always stay late at the (Main) Library and I walk back to my dorm afterwards,” Jeong said. “I’m a woman and campus is not always safe, especially around night. If something happens, no one is around and will know.”

As a male, Moreno said his safety is just as important. And recent incidents of assault and other crimes on campus make him and other students think twice about walking alone.

Robison said the network of green light emergency phones in campus parking areas and along walkways allows students to make on-campus numbers, including the Night Owl service.

“The number to schedule a ride on Night Owl is posted on the north and south walls of Ramp 1 on Shaw Lane, next to the emergency phones. We ask customers to allow for approximately 20 minutes from the time their ride is requested until the bus arrives,” Robison said.

Students can use the Night Owl bus for free with semester bus passes, 31-day passes or 10-day ride cards. Without a bus pass, students must pay a 60 cent fare with a valid MSU ID.  The Night Owl service is available Monday through Friday – 2-7 a.m. and Saturdays and Sundays – 2-9 a.m.

“You never know what could happen if they drop you off at a bus stop or stop sign,” Moreno said of the fact that Night Owl drivers drop him off right at his residence hall and waits until he gets inside.

“Even though it may take awhile for me to get home, I don’t care. As long as I’m in a saf e place,” Moreno said.

Share and discuss “Night Owl bus provides late-night transportation on campus” on social media.