Men's swimming and diving defeats Buffalo and Army during road trip; women's side falls to each team

The women’s swimming and diving team fell to Buffalo (173-142) and Army (179.5-173.5), while the men defeated both teams (Buffalo 185-130, Army 188.5-164.5) during their travels to New York. The men's team is now 4-1, and women’s team is 2-4.

“I thought we did well. When you take into perspective the trip — it was a seven hour bus ride and we got right off the bus and competed Friday night…Traditionally, we don’t usually do that well (in those conditions),” head coach Matt Gianiodis said.

MSU ended the two-day tri-meet with 14 victories.

Freshman Joseph Szczupakiewicz took the first Spartan win Friday for the 100-yard freestyle, finishing with a time of 9:32.53.

The 200-yard freestyle was taken by freshman Lachie McLeish (1:39.82).

Freshman Alex Trompke finished first in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 50.54.

Senior Shelby Lacy took the lead for the 100-yard breaststroke over Collin Kessinger of Army by .47 seconds.

MSU took the win for both the women’s and men’s 200-yard butterfly. Junior Elizabeth Brown took the win with 2:04.31 as her finishing time. On the men’s side, junior Nathaniel Weeks finished at 1:52.71.

Both sophomore Madeline Sewell and senior Cristee Cordes took first and second for the 3 meter diving, with final scores of 313.95 and 280.70. Sophomore Brennan LaBar took the win for the men with a score of 317.10.

“I thought our divers did a really nice job. It’s a hard thing to do when you travel a long way and have to get up and start bouncing on those boards,” Gianiodis said.

Saturday kicked off with the group relay of freshman Alex Trompke, sophomore Alex Kandt, Weeks, and McLeish took the first Spartan win Friday for the 400-yard medley relay (3:22.85).

Freshman Chanel Bonin took the women’s 200-yard backstroke win finishing at 2:05.88, while sophomore Sam Hiller finished 1:51.78 for the men’s.

Bonin hyperextended her knee during warm-ups before competing Friday. Gianiodis withheld her from competing as a safety precaution. Bonin came back Saturday and won both of her events.

“That was tough because I felt like we lost a few points on Friday night that could have come back and helped us win on the women’s side,” Gianiodis said about Bonin.

Trompke took the 100-yard butterfly win (49.32).

With a time of 4:37.69, Szczupakiewicz won the 500 yard freestyle race.

Women divers senior Alison Menziies, Sewell, and Cordes took first, second and third place for the 1 meter dive. Sophomore Brennan Labar took second, falling to Cade Bennett of Buffalo.

“I thought we hung pretty tough,” Gianiodis said.

Share and discuss “Men's swimming and diving defeats Buffalo and Army during road trip; women's side falls to each team” on social media.