MSU’s college radio station gets nominated for four awards, nabs one

Impact 89FM, WDBM (88.9-FM), MSU’s student radio station, has been nominated for four awards through the national College Radio Awards, hosted by the College Music Journal (CMJ). The conference was held in New York City last week.MSU students were recognized for their on-air talent this year at Impact 89FM.

The station was nominated for four awards, including Most Creative Programming, Michelle Feghali for Music Director and Rookie of the Year, and Station of the Year. This is the third year Impact 89FM was nominated for Station of the Year.

Winners were announced at the College Music Journal New Music Marathon conference in New York City. Of the four nominations, Impact 89FM won the Rookie of the Year award.

The station's general manager Ed Glazer said a lot has changed in the Impact studios this year. 

“We have been focusing on more of the new music than the old stuff,” Glazer said. “We’re trying to focus on music that is very accessible to a broader audience.”

Glazer said the nominations have impacted the volunteers at the radio station. 

“It’s very rewarding to be recognized in a national scale,” Glazer said. “We have students who go on to do amazing work; radio, tv, etc,. The station gets to be a laboratory to experiment their craft and be excellent members at their work.”

Located in room G-4 in the basement of Holden Hall, Impact 89FM is broadcast live 24/7 and online.

With more than 200 volunteers involved, Impact 89FM plays a variety of music including alternative, indie and rock for the city of East Lansing. Talk shows and music shows are also included in the programming.

Impact 89FM has been nominated six out of the ten years that the College Radio Awards have existed.

Share and discuss “MSU’s college radio station gets nominated for four awards, nabs one” on social media.