MSU alumni will no longer have free access to IM centers, starting in 2015

Starting January 1, 2015, alumni will no longer be allowed free access to campus recreation facilities. This includes IM Circle, IM East and IM West.

According to Rick McNeil, Director of Recreation Sports and Fitness Services, this is a decision that was decided over the course of three years between him and Associate Vice President for Alumni Relations Executive Director, Scott Westerman.

“Why should alumni have access for free when current students are paying to use facilities through tuition and fees,” McNeil said.

McNeil said the policy statement is to be finalized by December 1, but as of November 18, annual alumnus base membership fees, which include access to all facilities excluding fitness centers and group exercise classes, will cost $250 for a single adult, $350 family membership and $200 for adults 65 and older. 

But an annual alumnus package membership fee, which includes access to the fitness center and group exercise classes, on top of everything in a base membership, will cost $450 for a single adult membership, $600 for a family membership and $300 for adults 65 and older.

The recreational facilities will also include an option for alumni who wish to visit infrequently, giving them the option to buy 12 visits for $100 or 25 visits for $200. This gives family members the option to use the visits as well.

Daily family access passes can also be bought in advance for $10 per person.

In an email sent out to alumni by McNeil, he said, “as a department we are continually challenged to try and maintain facilities that range from 26 to 98 years old while enduring general fund budget reductions. We continually look for new ways to generate revenues through fitness access, programs and several general user fees.”

Share and discuss “MSU alumni will no longer have free access to IM centers, starting in 2015” on social media.