Connor Cook, Shilique Calhoun semifinalists for Maxwell Football Club awards

The Maxwell Football Club released its list of semifinalist for a couple of prestigious awards on Monday and a pair of Spartans made the cut.

Junior quarterback Connor Cook was selected as one of 20 semifinalists for the 2014 Maxwell Award for collegiate player of the year, and junior defensive end Shilique Calhoun was selected as one of 20 semifinalists for the 2014 Chuck Bednarik Award for outstanding defensive player of the year.

The three finalists for both awards will be announced on Nov. 24 with a second round of voting to take place at that time.

Cook is one of four Big Ten players to be selected as semifinalists for the Maxwell Award, including Nebraska senior running back Ameer Abdullah, Indiana junior running back Tevin Coleman and Wisconsin junior running back Melvin Gordon.

Through MSU’s first eight games, Cook has recorded 1,868 passing yards, 17 passing touchdowns and holds a 60.6 passing completion percentage. Cook also has two rushing touchdowns on 44 rushing yards this season.

Calhoun also was joined by a couple of Big Ten competitors for the Chuck Bednarik Award with Ohio State sophomore defensive end Joey Bosa and Nebraska junior defensive end Randy Gregory making the semifinalist list.

Calhoun has 25 tackles on the season, including 8.5 tackles for a loss and six sacks. Calhoun has also recorded a fumble recovery with 38 yards one the return.

Cook and Calhoun join a list of Spartans who have recently been selected as semifinalists for end of the year awards. Senior wide receiver Tony Lippett was added to the Biletnikoff Award watch list in early October and junior cornerback Trae Waynes was selected as a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award last week.

All of the awards will be announced on Dec. 11 during the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on ESPN.

Share and discuss “Connor Cook, Shilique Calhoun semifinalists for Maxwell Football Club awards” on social media.