Alpha Phi, fraternities play football to raise funds for heart health

For Clouse, raising money for women’s heart health is an important cause and close to her heart.

On Sunday, Alpha Phi sorority hosted their second annual “Capture A-Phi” philanthropy flag football game to raise money for the Alpha Phi Foundation, which supports women’s heart health.

Taylor Rogers, public policy junior and vice president of marketing for Alpha Phi, said she likes how their philanthropy makes the sorority unlike others.

“For greek life, the one thing that makes your sorority or fraternity unique is your philanthropy,” Rogers said. “I think this is what makes Alpha Phi different and makes us special, because it’s women’s heart health and something we’re really passionate about.”

“Capture A-Phi” is the sorority’s fall event which returned because of last year’s success.

Fraternities and members of the ROTC were invited to participate in the game in hopes to win a trophy and the opportunity to have dinner with the women of Alpha Phi at their chapter home.

Clouse said the former philanthropy chair of the sorority brought the event to MSU after she heard about it from another chapter.

“It went really well last year and this year we doubled our participation,” Clouse said.

Rogers said 26 fraternities were in attendance and the event raised more than $2,600.

“We definitely did a lot better this year than last year because more people knew about it and people wanted to participate, which was exciting,” Rogers said.

The final game match-up was between Sigma Chi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon , and the brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon took home the trophy, inscribed with Alpha Phi’s Greek letters.

Economics junior and member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Brandon Sullivan said his team trained in preparation for the event.

“We live by the motto of ‘winners always win’ and that’s what we did here,” Sullivan said. “It feels good to be on top, everybody wants another championship T-shirt and trophy.”

Sullivan said even though there is no offseason for him and his fraternity, knowing something is being done for the community feels good after the event is over.

“When you pay for this, it’s nice to know it’s going towards something good and not just playing the game,” Sullivan said.

Share and discuss “Alpha Phi, fraternities play football to raise funds for heart health” on social media.