Women's soccer picks up second Big Ten victory with shutout over Purdue

MSU extended its winning streak to two games with a 2-0 victory over Purdue on Saturday night.

The Spartans (8-5-1 overall, 2-5-1 Big Ten) rolled past the Boilermakers and won back-to-back games for the first time in over a month.

Familiar faces lifted the Spartans to the victory, with freshman forward Jamie Cheslik and junior forward Allyson Krause both scoring goals.

Cheslik’s goal came in the 30th minute, as she snuck a shot inside of the left goalpost. From about 18 yards out, her strike put the Spartans on the board first.

MSU led 1-0 heading into halftime, but Purdue outshot the Spartans 10 to two in the half. The Boilermakers couldn’t find the back of the net however, and redshirt senior goalkeeper Courtney Clem recorded three saves.

The second half progressed and MSU maintained its one goal lead for the next 40 minutes. In the game’s 85th minute, Krause scored and distanced the Spartans from Purdue.

The Boilermakers failed to get on the board in the game’s final minutes, and MSU left with its second conference victory. Following a 0-5-1 start to league play, MSU has regained its footing.

"Credit to the players and the leaders on our team for keeping their confidence and determination after the tough stretch we had," Saxton said in a release. "A lot of teams could have put their heads down after that, but we went back to work. We'll continue to take that approach throughout the last quarter of the season."

MSU will be back at DeMartin Stadium for two pivotal home games later this week. At 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, MSU will take on Ohio State (5-7-2 overall, 2-4-2 Big Ten). MSU will cap its weekend with a 1 p.m. game on Sunday against Penn State (12-2 overall, 7-1 Big Ten).

Share and discuss “Women's soccer picks up second Big Ten victory with shutout over Purdue ” on social media.