Resources on campus support student nutrition

Sometimes the clock can get in the way of being healthy.

On campus, nutritional organizations and programs encourage students to eat well, but many students don’t consume enough fruits and vegetables because of their lack of time.

“I have class all day and oftentimes work right after,” said veterinary technology senior Margie Ramirez. “I usually pack my meals the night before and try to incorporate some fruits and vegetables.”

With her daily schedule full, Ramirez doesn’t typically have time to exercise.

“I try to workout when I have downtime,” Ramirez said. “But by the time I get home, all I want to do is (lie) down and relax.”

The Nutritional Sciences Club is one group that steers students toward healthy habits.

President of the Nutritional Sciences Club and dietetics senior Megan Geierman said students can track what they eat at MSU dining halls using the MSUtrition page on the Eat at State website.

In the pursuit of a nutritional diet, Geierman said there are other easy and practical steps students can take.

“A helpful tip is to bring your own snacks; cutting up fruit and making the time beforehand instead of buying something at a vending machine,” Geierman said. “Pick a day in the week to prep for snacks.”

Organizing your time and making small changes is key in choosing to eat right, according to Geierman.

“Try to be creative. You don’t have to cut everything out of your diet all at once,” she said.

Instructor for the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition Wei Li said eating well comes down to science. A person’s body can become unstable if they are not consuming nutritious foods or exercising enough.

“The primary concern in the long run is more about (the) chronic disease you will develop later in life like obesity, diabetes and heart disease,” Li said.

Exercising is just as important because it decreases the risk of chronic disease, Li said. Gyms are located in several locations on campus, and some are in the residence halls so that students can exercise daily.

Furthermore, Li said, now is the time for students to start consuming healthy foods. If they are not getting the proper nutrition, they could develop one of the major chronic diseases within their lifetime.

Vitamins and minerals are important for the human body, and Li said eating more fruits and vegetables is the best way to get them.

Li recommends students visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture website and take advantage of tools like ChooseMyPlate, which provides nutritional information for different foods and allows students to track their daily intake.

And since stress is a large factor for college students, Li suggested cutting out the energy drinks.

“You have to have a balanced diet and have nutrients from all kinds of foods, especially vitamins and minerals,” Li said. “There are some studies for stress (showing) that if you eat antioxidants from fruits and vegetables, it can partially help cope (with) the systems of stress.”

Though students can listen to tips and learn facts about eating well, being healthy is ultimately a personal choice. But with resources and support on campus, college years might be the easiest time for students to develop a healthy long-term lifestyle.

Share and discuss “Resources on campus support student nutrition ” on social media.