RISE members relax, connect with crochet

<p>Environmental studies freshman Michael Carroll knits a scarf at the second annual RISE crochet workshop Oct. 3, 2014, at Bailey Hall. Dylan Vowell/The State News</p>

Environmental studies freshman Michael Carroll knits a scarf at the second annual RISE crochet workshop Oct. 3, 2014, at Bailey Hall. Dylan Vowell/The State News

Photo by Dyan Vowell | The State News

Sometimes the satisfaction of knowing you played a prominent role in the creation of your winter scarf beats buying one from a retail outlet.

On Oct. 3, s tudents and faculty of the  MSU Residential Initiative on the Study of the Environment gathered in Bailey Hall  for a regular community building workshop and made the first stiches in their crochet projects .

Animal science sophomore Leah McTigue  attended one of the crochet workshops last year. Although crocheting is a familiar hobby for her, she admits that she simply enjoys hanging out with RISE members.  From the crocheting beginners to experts, the students were able to relieve stress while simultaneously channeling their creativity.

“It’s not relaxing at first,” McTigue said. “But once you get into the rhythm of it, it’s mindless. It’s great.”

The MSU RISE Program is a living-learning program that focuses on environmental and sustainability studies. Its main goal is to develop community building skills through hands-on activities.

Hobbies like knitting, beading and crocheting have been a trend for a few years. Last year, RISE held a crochet workshop and it became very popular. By the middle of the winter, members were already walking around with their handmade scarves. Since then, the crochet workshop has turned into a biweekly or monthly event.

All supplies were provided for the students who attended. Assistant Director Heather Shea Gasser  guided students through the fundamentals of crocheting. When she was very young, her grandmother taught her how to crochet.  So Shea Gasser  paid it forward by doing the same for RISE members.

“It’s less about the actual crocheting and more about getting students together and doing something that’s engaging and a way for them to build community,” Shea Gasser  said.

RISE frequently holds active workshops centered on activities such as cooking or home canning.

All students in Bailey Hall are welcome to attend workshops the program holds.

“It’s a time for them to come together in a relaxed format to learn skill that’s relaxing and enjoyable and to kind of turn work off for a little while on a Friday afternoon,” Program Director Lori Thorpe  said.

Share and discuss “RISE members relax, connect with crochet” on social media.