'Once' the musical premieres tonight at Wharton Center

As the Wharton Center welcomes numerous musicals and well-known broadway shows to campus every year, this semester's lineup of professional performances will begin tonight with Once the Musical. 

As a winner of eight Tony Awards in 2012, including Best Musical, Once tells the story of a street musician from Ireland who is in the midst of ending his music career until he unexpectedly meets a woman that becomes inspired by his songs. 

While this story focuses on the power of music, the entire cast of Once play their own instruments on the stage throughout the show, including a "pre-show jam session" 15 minutes prior to each performance. 

"Once is one of the hottest shows on Broadway and now it's in East Lansing," Wharton Center Public Relations Manager Bob Hoffman said. "You don't have to travel to New York City to see the best in entertainment."

The musical will play at the Wharton Center from Oct. 14-19 in the Cobb Great Hall. Tickets are available starting at $34 for the public.

MSU students can order tickets online for $30 by using their APID number. This student discount is only available for the evening performances on Oct. 14 and 15. 

Share and discuss “'Once' the musical premieres tonight at Wharton Center” on social media.