OISS invites international students to weigh in on candidates to replace former director Peter Briggs

The Office of International Students and Scholars have announced three candidates they are considering to take over the director position following the retirement of former director Peter Briggs. on Oct. 3.

The office has invited international students and scholars to sit in on public presentations held by each of the three candidates throughout the month of October, the first of which was on Wednesday. 

"You want students to feel invested in the process of choosing the director," said Adedayo Oluwakayode Adekson, assistant dean for administration of International Studies Programs.

The three candidates include current Director of International Admissions and Services at Western Michigan University Juan M. Tavares, Director of International Programs and Services at Pittsburg State University in Kansas Cathy Lee T. Arcuino. The third candidate is the director of the International Students and Scholars Office at Iowa State University James Dorsett.

Adekson said usually there has to be one student on most search committees, but the model that OISS is undertaking is "unique."

"The presence of international students on campus is very significant," he said, adding that students need to have a voice and say in issues related to their college life.

Public presentations are also followed by forums giving students and scholars the chance to ask the candidates questions and write down their feedback at the end of the forum.

Social Work doctoral student Eva Palma- Ramirez attended the student and scholar forum on Wednesday because she was interested in knowing more about the candidate for the director's position.

"I'm an international student here and I want to listen to what the candidate has to say," Palma- Ramirez said.

Food industry management junior Zayra Gonzalez said it is important for international students to attend the forum because this opportunity will not be present itself to them often.

Gonzalez said it's important for international students to have a say in "who's going to be the image of OISS."

The first of the three candidates who presented on Wednesday was Tavares. 

The university will host Arcuino for the next public presentation and forum will be on Monday Oct. 20 at 2 p.m. in Room 303, followed by the forum at 4:30 in the same room.

The last presentation and forum, which will be held by Dorsett, is scheduled for Wednesday Oct. 29 and will follow the same schedule. 

Share and discuss “OISS invites international students to weigh in on candidates to replace former director Peter Briggs” on social media.