Second forum held introducing a potential OISS director candidate to replace Peter Briggs

The second forum introducing a candidate for director of the Office of International Students and Scholars, or OISS, took place on Monday.

The candidate was Cathy Lee Arcuino, current director of International Programs and Services at Pittsburg State University in Kansas.

Arcuino graduated from Loyola Marymount University with a degree in psychology. Following her graduation, she volunteered for the Peace Corps in Kazakhstan, where she taught English as a foreign language. 

After her experience in Kazakhstan, she taught English in different countries, including Thailand, Japan and Poland. 

Arcuino did her Ph.D. in Education and Human Resource Studies at Colorado State University. 

During the forum, Arcuino noted that MSU is known for its international programs and outreach, which is one of the major aspects that attracted her to applying for OISS director.

"First thing I would like to focus on is build on the foundation that OISS has already built," she said, adding that she would like to work with the current team to identify any potential challenges and collaborate on finding solutions for them. 

Arcuino said she thinks one of the main aspects she would like to focus on is further developing the interactive relationships between American and international students by creating more cultural understanding between both parties and creating different programs encouraging that.

She said she has always been an advocate for encouraging international students to participate in community service events as a way to both enhance their experience and skills and to interact more with community members.

The next student forum will take place on Wednesday Oct. 29 and will introduce James Dorsett, the last of the three candidates. The forum will be held at 4:30 in Room 303 of the International Center.  

Share and discuss “Second forum held introducing a potential OISS director candidate to replace Peter Briggs” on social media.