MSU Dairy Story ranked ninth best college ice cream shop in America

<p>Crop and soil sciences senior Chelsea Koroleski enjoys a small cup of chocolate ice cream Sept. 30, 2014, at the MSU Dairy Store. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Crop and soil sciences senior Chelsea Koroleski enjoys a small cup of chocolate ice cream Sept. 30, 2014, at the MSU Dairy Store. Raymond Williams/The State News

Photo by Raymond Williams | The State News

The MSU Dairy Store recently was ranked the ninth best college ice cream shop in an article published by Great Value Colleges.

Rodney Clark, MSU Dairy Store operations supervisor and ice cream maker, said it’s a nice feeling to be ranked so highly.

“We worked really hard for a lot of years to get our name and product out there, it’s nice to see it being recognized,” he said. “This is a pleasant surprise, there are a lot of good schools out there and to be compared to them is a wonderful compliment to the product we’re putting out.”

Clark said what makes Dairy Store ice cream stand out so much is the simplicity and cleanliness of the product.

“We have a premium type product, no added fillers,” he noted.

Some of the more popular flavors include Sesquicentennial Swirl, which is white cake batter based with green and white cake pieces and green ribbon, and Buckeye Blitz, which is peanut butter ice cream with a fudge swirl and chunks of peanut butter filled chocolate.

The Dairy Store is currently working on developing flavors for the Boston College Eagles and the Maryland Terrapins.

The MSU Dairy Store was outranked by Andy’s Frozen Custard at Northwestern University, IceKrimski Cafe at University of California, Prince Puckelr’s Gourmet Ice Cream at University of Oregon, Slickables Ice Cream Sandwiches at Arizona State University, Mallard Ice Cream at Western Washington University, Chillz Frozen Custard at University of New Mexico, The Maryland Dairy at University of Maryland and Two Spoons at University of Colorado.

Share and discuss “MSU Dairy Story ranked ninth best college ice cream shop in America” on social media.