Marching band members put in hours on and off the field

Not being able to march in the Rose Bowl parade due to a blood clot in his arm didn’t stop urban and regional planning sophomore Casey Bloom.

Right before the team left for the Rose Bowl trip, Bloom was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome. Once he arrived home, he immediately went into surgery to have a rib removed.

Ten months later, Bloom has recovered and is currently in the top ten players in the tuba section. Getting to the position where he is now didn’t come easy.

“I live in the tuba house, so I devote even more time for the band because we do stuff at the house that involves the section,” Bloom said. “I would say about half my free time, other than classes, I spend on band.”

Rehearsing before rehearsal and practicing after practice is nothing out of the ordinary for band members. Bloom arrives early and stays late to almost every single practice. He says it doesn’t conflict with his time to study for classes, but in some cases he may not have time to grab lunch.

Developing your own sound, independently learning your music, and independently marking to your own spot is crucial in being a part of the band. Bloom said the last thing you want to be on the field is a visual liability.

“You have to be very independent in the marching band in college otherwise you’re not going to be in it.” Bloom said.

Communication junior Billy Nippert is in his second year of being the second chair mellophone squad leader. Nippert said in order to equip himself for the position, he did a lot of running over the summer and lifted weights.

For him, it came down to devoting time over the summer so that once band camp rolled away he was in the best position possible.

Neuroscience and human biology senior Frank Loomis is a second year drum major. According to Loomis, preparing for performances is synonymous with preparing for a class, club, or any other organization a student is involved in.

“There is definitely some individual work that every member puts in order to prepare,” Loomis said. “Basically trying to be the best you can be.”

Bloom has no desire to continue music once he graduates college. Although he was in his high school marching band all four years, he joined the MSU Spartan Marching Band strictly out of fun it would be in college.

Bloom said coming from a high school marching band to a university is a thousand times different. Despite all the hours spent on constant practice throughout the weeks, Bloom and the rest of the band are always prepared to perform.

“We have all a saying that kind of puts everyone into perspective on a game day. It’s called Heart on Fire, Mind on Ice.” Bloom said.

Bloom said when band members have the school spirit and adrenaline running through their body, marchers have to keep a cold mind and not let the sounds of the crowd or screens on the field distract you.

Nippert said what he loves the most about a part of MSU marching band is the family aspect.

“When I came to MSU as a freshman, I already had 300 best friends,” Nippert said. “I also love that I get to represent Michigan State in such a positive, visible way.”

“This is my 4th year in the band, and what has kept me coming back year after year is for sure the relationships I have had the privilege of making, and continue to make,” he said. “And of course, I really like playing in the band.”

Share and discuss “Marching band members put in hours on and off the field” on social media.