MSU English Language Center teacher a contestant on Jeopardy this week

For 200, name a classic game show, that consists of three contestants and a series of trivia questions.

What is Jeopardy? Ding. That is correct.

MSU English Language Center Specialist Elizabeth Webster competed on the hit NBC game show series Jeopardy on Tuesday night. 

Webster, who loves trivia and loves to read, prepared for the game show by checking out multiple books from the Haslett Library. 

"I had four weeks in between the time I auditioned and the filming of the show, so I decided to refresh my mind," she said.

The material for the questions covers a wide variety of topics — including history and current events, the sciences, the arts, popular culture, literature and languages, to name a few. 

"I got books with different topics just in case there was something I didn't know," Webster said.

Webster has always been interested in trivia and reading, which prompted her to audition for Jeopardy. "I watched the show my whole life, and thought it would be really fun to do," said Webster.

Contrary to popular belief, Webster says that the show was very exciting. "It really was one of the most exciting things I have ever done, it's not what everyone seems to think it is," said Webster

Webster's colleague, Specialist for MSU's Center for Language Teaching Advancement, Joy Campbell says "Elizabeth has a great personality, she is full of energy and charisma—which is great for the show."" I think she did great, she had some good competition," said Campbell.

"I thought I did really good—I was pretty confident—nervous too," said Webster. "There is a lot of luck involved in Jeopardy, every category wasn't my forte, but it was fun."

Elizabeth finished second, earning a $2,000 consolation prize. She encourages anyone who likes trivia to audition to be on Jeopardy. "If you like it—do it," said Webster. "It was a great experience, a once in a lifetime chance."

Share and discuss “MSU English Language Center teacher a contestant on Jeopardy this week” on social media.