Heisman candidate Ameer Abdullah will challenge MSU defense on Saturday

<p>Nebraska I Back Ameer Abdullah fends off Miami defensive back Artie Burns on Sept. 20, 2014, at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb. The Huskers defeated the Hurricanes, 41-31. Photo courtesy of Morgan Spiehs/The Daily Nebraskan </p>

Nebraska I Back Ameer Abdullah fends off Miami defensive back Artie Burns on Sept. 20, 2014, at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb. The Huskers defeated the Hurricanes, 41-31. Photo courtesy of Morgan Spiehs/The Daily Nebraskan

Photo by Morgan Spiehs/The Daily Nebraskan | The State News

The No. 1 objective for the Spartan defense this weekend will be to contain the most talented guy wearing red and white — Nebraska senior running back Ameer Abdullah.

“Ameer is a guy who can make guys miss, can prolong runs, understands where his blocks are, understands seeing the field (and) has great field vision,” senior safety Kurtis Drummond said.

Abdullah enters this week’s matchup as the nation’s top rusher creating a big-time challenge for the Spartan’s defense this week. Abdullah has recorded 833 rushing yards — which ranks No. 1 in rushing yards in all of college football — and eight touchdowns through the first five games, including 208 yards and three touchdowns last week against Illinois.

On top of his staggering rushing totals thus far, Abdullah has played a role in the passing attack with 108 receiving yards and two touchdowns. Combining Abdullah’s effect in both the running and passing game has been a big reason why he currently ranks fourth in ESPN’s Heisman Watch.

In the last two meetings between MSU and Nebraska, Abdullah has eclipsed the 100-yard mark. In 2012, Abdullah ran for 110 yards, helping lead the Cornhuskers to a 28-24 win , and last year Abdullah recorded 123 yards on the ground in a 41-28 MSU victory . And Huskers head coach Bo Pelini said on Monday that Abdullah is “better in every area” this year.

After playing against Abdullah the past two seasons, head coach Mark Dantonio understands the talent he brings to the field. Dantonio said it’ll be key for the “Spartan Dawgs” this week to improve in tackling and taking better pursuit angles to keep Abdullah in check.

“When you’re playing a great running back, it’s about pursuit, it’s about leverage on a football (and) it’s about the ability to tackle in space,” Dantonio said during a teleconference on Sunday. “We’ll work on all three of those things this week, obviously, as we do every week.”

Pitting both MSU and Nebraska’s strengths against each other will be the talk of the town this week. The Abdullah-led Cornhusker rushing attack ranks second in the nation in rushing yards per game , but MSU is equally as good in stopping the run. MSU ranks No. 4 in rushing defense per game, averaging only 78.3 yards.

The opportunity to play against a talented rushing team like Nebraska is exciting for junior defensive end Shilique Calhoun . He said he looks forward to the opportunity of going up against a Heisman contender such as Abdullah, and uses it as just another chance for Calhoun to show his ability on a national spotlight.

“It will be nice to play against someone who is so versatile,” Calhoun said. “And give me the opportunity to showcase my talents.”

Share and discuss “Heisman candidate Ameer Abdullah will challenge MSU defense on Saturday” on social media.