Lewiston couple's Halloween attraction featured in national TV competition

For MSU alumnus Dave Gugel, Halloween has always meant one thing: transforming his home into a frightening and eerie scene to entertain guests and curious trick-or-treaters.

What started as a hobby for Gugel has manifested into the creation of his elaborate Halloween display that now attracts thousands of people each year, and has recently gained national attention.

Residing in Lewiston, Michigan, Gugel and his partner Andy Bauer transform their 4-acre lakeside resort into a Halloween-themed attraction every October, which includes a custom-made haunted house, a "spooky" and self-guided drive-thru, and two rental cabins that are decorated to resemble "Igor's Hideaway" and a "Witches Cabin."

In early July, producers from ABC’s one-hour special called “The Great Halloween Fright Fight,” contacted the couple about participating in the show, after discovering their attraction on YouTube during their nationwide search for the best haunted Halloween displays in the country.

After being chosen as one of the six competitors fighting to win the top prize of $50,000, a production crew from ABC arrived and began the three-day recording process, which included a visit from celebrity judges Michael Moloney and Sabrina Soto.

"We are a little town in northern Michigan, so having this big of a production come to our town was just crazy," Gugel said. "Just seeing how the behind the scenes of a television production works was amazing."

Although the couple's display did not win the top prize on the show that aired Oct. 28, Gugel said he hopes this exposure will help to increase their popularity as a favorite Halloween hot-spot.

“What we are proud of with our own attraction here is that we have something for the entire family to enjoy," Gugel said.

With six different scenes including a cemetery and a Day of the Dead section, the musical drive-thru is popular among families with young children, according to Gugel. In order to accommodate the older guests, he said the camp-themed haunted house packed with 25 volunteers who lurk around and scare the visitors is a success every year.

As a graphic designer and illustrator, Bauer takes Gugel's concepts and initiates the process of creating all of their authentic, custom-made props and decorations. The couple also uses technology such as lighting techniques and sound effects to enhance the overall experience.

“It’s a labor of love. We are both creative people and that’s what we are passionate about," Gugel said. "It’s a perfect outlet for us to share what we are both good at with other people.”

With nearly 5,000 visitors every October to their display called "Terror at Tee Lake," Gugel said many families make their visits a yearly custom.

"Just knowing that we are having an impact on these people and becoming a tradition of Halloween for their family makes all of the work we put into this worth it,” Gugel said.

Share and discuss “Lewiston couple's Halloween attraction featured in national TV competition” on social media.