Students affected by fire will be able to collect belongings

<p>A building is damaged Oct. 7, 2014, after a fire at the Landings at Chandler Crossings on Oct. 5. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

A building is damaged Oct. 7, 2014, after a fire at the Landings at Chandler Crossings on Oct. 5. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Residents whose apartments were charred by the fire that severely damaged a building in The Landings at Chandler Crossings on Sunday will have a chance Tuesday to return to their apartments and claim valuable belongings, WestPac Campus Communities Manager Adam Martin said.

Although damage estimates to the building won’t be available until the apartment complex receives a statement from their insurer, Martin said a dozen apartments were affected and residents in the building were relocated to other units within Chandler Crossings.

While some apartments on the third floor were burned, others were damaged by smoke and water that firefighters used to douse the blaze.

“All the residents are housed and well taken care of,” Martin said.

While no residents were injured, many were temporarily out of a place to stay for the night.

Supply chain management senior Gi Min was in the library studying for two upcoming midterms Sunday evening when she received a phone call from a close friend saying her building in Chandler Crossings was on fire. She immediately rushed back home.

By the time Min arrived the flames had been extinguished, but her apartment and most of the third floor rooms on the building’s east side were destroyed.

Several students who lived in the building were driving by when they saw smoke and pulled into the parking lot to discover their building was on fire. They were able to enter their room on the second floor and retrieve some of their belongings without getting wet from the fire hoses.

Students who were in the building smelled smoke and noticed a fire out on the third floor balcony and began to evacuate as police arrived.

Police received the call just after 6 p.m. and arrived on the scene within six minutes. There is currently no cause known for the fire but police have no reason to suspect foul play.

Many of the students, like computer science junior Jingwei Xu are unsure if they have renter’s insurance to cover them from the damages.

“My passport was in there,” Xu said. “I have no idea what I am going to do next.”

Share and discuss “Students affected by fire will be able to collect belongings” on social media.