Field hockey picks up win over Rutgers, improves to 2-2 in Big Ten play

On Friday afternoon, No. 20 MSU field hockey (6-4 overall, 2-2 Big Ten) invaded the east coast to take on Rutgers in the teams' first Big Ten meeting. The Spartans were able to pull out a tough 3-2 victory over the Scarlet Knights.

After the game took the mold of a defensive battle in the early minutes, the Scarlet Knights were able to capitalize on an opportunity in the 15th minute to take a 1-0 lead. After a Spartan turnover in front of reshirt sophomore goalkeeper Sierra Patton, Sofia Walia of Rutgers was able to put her shot in the cage. 

Slow starts and early deficits have been a problem throughout the season for MSU. Friday's game marked the seventh straight game in which the Spartans have surrendered the first lead. 

After MSU couldn't convert off two penalty corners, senior forward Abby Barker continued her impressive campaign and scored to tie the game 1-1. It was Barker's 10th goal of the season, as she was able to intercept an attempted clear from Rutgers and shot it past the goalie. 

Less than four minutes later, MSU was afforded another penalty corner. After not converting off the inbound pass from senior back Jenni Smith, fellow senior Alli Helwig found an opening and gave the Spartans a 2-1 lead. 

With momentum in MSU's favor, Barker and redshirt freshman forward Kendal Anderson dribbled in on a 2-on-1 advantage. Barker slid a pass over to Anderson, who buried the shot to give MSU its third goal in eight minutes. It was Anderson's third goal of the season, and Barker's assist gave her three points on the night to make it 28 points for the season.

The first half would come to a close with MSU holding a 3-1 lead. 

Rutgers managed to add a goal early in the second half. The goal came off a rebound in front of the net that Patton could not get a hold of. 

Patton was, however, able to get a piece of everything else that came her way to secure the Spartans 3-2 victory in New Jersey. Senior midfielder Becky Stiles, a native of Medford, N.J., was welcomed home with a green card in the 34th minute, while sophomore forward Megan Fenton was dealt a yellow card in the 53rd minute. 

MSU faces off against Monmouth on Saturday at 1 p.m. The two teams met in the Auto-Owners Insurance MSU Invitational last year in East Lansing, where the Spartans were able to defeat the Hawks 4-2.

Share and discuss “Field hockey picks up win over Rutgers, improves to 2-2 in Big Ten play” on social media.