Despite host of new options, laptops still reign at MSU

Photo by Margeaux Phillips | The State News

The market for personal electronics is changing. Students now have more platforms than ever for schoolwork, with devices like budget-priced Chromebooks, ultrabooks like the Macbook Air and a plethora of tablets running Microsoft’s Windows, Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS.

But despite the new options available, laptop sales continue to dominate among students, said sales representative at the MSU Computer Store Kathleen Mistretta. And demand for higher-end models is growing, at least at MSU.

“With students, the MacBooks have been the most popular,” Mistretta said. “Normally, the (standard) MacBook is the most popular, but now most people are buying the Retina and Air MacBooks.”

At the computer store, tablets range from $150 to $750 and laptops range from $460 to $2,300.

MSU alumnus Suny-Ki Shin uses a Windows laptop and iPad and said both have their benefits.

“I use my laptop to play more games,” Shin said. “(My iPad) is much better for note taking ... I actually like typing on (my iPad) much better.”

The research firm International Data Corporation projected that the tablet market will continue to outpace the growth of laptops and desktop computers through at least 2017.

Supply chain management sophomore Matthew Dickinson prefers to use a laptop instead of a tablet.

“You get more for your money and a bigger screen,” Dickinson said. “I like having a physical keyboard and keypad.”

Another laptop alternative is Google’s Chromebooks. Starting at $199, Chromebooks have the typical laptop appearance with a simple interface and low storage that revolves around Google chrome and other cloud-based Google services such as Google Drive.

According to ZDNet, Chromebook shipments have risen 67 percent compared to 2013. Students like Chromebooks for their usability and streamlined interface that isn’t clogged with dozens of apps.

Bridging the gap between tablets and regular laptops are so called “hybrid computers.” These laptops tend to have the appearance of a typical laptop but can transform into a tablet and include a touchscreen.

Unlike Apple, Microsoft is pushing the hybrid laptop trend with the recently announced Surface Pro 4. These Microsoft tablets are beginning to replace both the tablet and laptop in the business field to save costs on buying both a laptop and iPad, according to Christian Post. This is partly due to the fact that the tablets can run full versions of the Microsoft Office services.

With these new hybrid laptops, many laptops have started to downsize.

“Everything is getting lighter and smaller,” Mistretta said. “It’s weird because the phones are getting bigger while the computers are getting smaller.”

Despite all the hype on new types of laptops, Dickinson thinks regular laptops will continue to control the market.

“The laptop market won’t really change,” Dickinson said. “The laptop with a keyboard attached to the screen is going to be around for a long time.”

Share and discuss “Despite host of new options, laptops still reign at MSU” on social media.