Bye week not always ideal after emotional game, according to Dantonio

<p>Head coach Mark Dantonio argues a Michigan complete pass call Oct. 25, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The pass was later ruled incomplete. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 35-11. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio argues a Michigan complete pass call Oct. 25, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The pass was later ruled incomplete. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 35-11. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

After an emotional win against hated rival Michigan, No. 8 MSU (7-1 overall, 4-0 Big Ten) will take a week off and gear up for another emotional game under the lights against No. 16 Ohio State (6-1 overall, 3-0 Big Ten).

Head coach Mark Dantonio has gone back and forth on whether or not it is good to have a bye week after an emotional game like U-M, and after the game he seemed unsure.

"We are eight games in and going down that stretch where you have to make a championship run," he said. "First up is Ohio State and that will be a test for us, after that we will have four games to go, and all of them will be exciting and great games."

Dantonio used the last bye week, following a 46-27 loss to Oregon in week two, to do some recruiting in the first half of the week. He said he plans to do the same during this bye week.

"That's pretty much the plan," he said. "We have X amount of recruiting opportunities left, so we'll use those."

Dantonio said this week's practices will be light and the focus will be on getting everyone healthy.

"We want to make sure everyone doesn't get hurt in practice," he said. "I think the main focus will be getting healed up a little bit and reaffirming where we are from a strength perspective."

Share and discuss “Bye week not always ideal after emotional game, according to Dantonio” on social media.