Women's tennis prepares for Auto-Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational this weekend

<p>Sophomore Catherine Parenteau, left, and doubles partner junior Marina Bohrer high five after scoring a point during the tennis match against Nebraska on April 14, 2013, at the <span class="caps">MSU</span> Indoor Tennis Facility. The Spartans lost to the Cornhuskers, 6-1. Natalie Kolb/The State News</p>

Sophomore Catherine Parenteau, left, and doubles partner junior Marina Bohrer high five after scoring a point during the tennis match against Nebraska on April 14, 2013, at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. The Spartans lost to the Cornhuskers, 6-1. Natalie Kolb/The State News

Photo by Natalie Kolb | The State News

With only a few practices in, the women’s tennis team is ready to take on Detroit Mercy, IPFW and Toledo when they host the Auto-Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational this weekend.

The Spartans welcomed four freshman to the team this summer, who, according to head coach Simone Jardim, are transitioning well from high school to Big Ten expectations, but the upcoming weeks of practices and competition will tell.

The twelve women that make up the Spartan tennis team must stay focused to pull ahead during their first competition of the season. With less than two weeks of practicing and scrimmages, consisting of other teammates, this tournament will show how the young athletes, and the team as a whole, will perform this weekend.

“It’s really hard sometimes when we are practicing with one another to see what they are made of, until you really face competition through competition of somebody else,” Jardim said. “Your competitive drive is very different. When you get into practice and are playing with one another, it is not as competitive. Now you are getting into competition and playing someone from another school, so you can let it all out.”

Sophomore Erin Faulkner has not worried about her team’s capabilities when it comes to competition.

“The team chemistry this year is great and I think we are all really close and I think that will be very beneficial during our matches,” Faulkner said. “Even though we are on the court individually, just looking over to the court next to each other we know we are all there supporting each other. It’s going to do wonders.”

With their previous experience at MSU, Faulkner and senior Catherine Parenteau will guide the young athletes through the season and pull the team through to a Big Ten victory.

“The upperclassmen, with experience, have to show [freshmen] how it works and be positive with them,” Parenteau said.

The Auto-Owner’s Insurance Spartan Invitational will run all day on Saturday and Sunday, beginning at 10 a.m. at the outdoor tennis courts, located at the corner of Wilson and Chestnut Roads.

“I’m really excited that it is home,” Faulkner said. “For the freshman having the first college match, I know that is going to be super exciting. For me, I did it last year so I’m not really nervous—just looking forward to it.”

As the team progresses through their fall season, bringing their A-game to every match becomes important, making their opponents fear the Spartans according to Jardim.

“I think for any event in the fall, that’s when you establish who you are as a team,” Jardim said. “My expectation is that we will come out and really take care of business. When we go into the spring, people will be aware of us and scared.”

Share and discuss “Women's tennis prepares for Auto-Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational this weekend” on social media.