Wharton Center to welcome 60/50 Theatre Project

The play will feature stories about MSU's history of inclusion and diversity.

The Department of Theatre’s production of the 60/50 Theatre Project will premiere on Sept. 18 and run until Sept. 28 on the lower level of the Auditorium in Studio 60.

This original play, written by Department of Theatre Artistic Director Rob Roznowski, is designed to shares stories about the history of inclusion and diversity at MSU, while specifically focusing on the university’s involvement in human and civil rights.

The performance will include fictionalized short scenes based on real events and individuals from MSU’s past, said Dan Smith, assistant professor of theatre studies for the College of Arts and Letters’ Department of Theatre. Smith, who facilitated the collaboration for this production, said these different acts are aimed towards articulating the challenges of civil and human rights that previously existed on campus.

Each scene will end with either a photograph or video from the MSU archives that will further elaborate on the university’s association with historical events.

“I think it’s a unique perspective because most of the events for Project 60/50 tend to be lectures and film screenings,” Smith said. “To look at it in a theatrical way gives us a different opportunity to think about things.”

Following each performance, there will be a discussion facilitated by the actors, where audience members will be encouraged to ask questions or openly converse about the history of MSU depicted in the show.

Tickets can be purchased at the Wharton Center Box Office for $10 or online for $12.50 prior to each show. The ticket office at the Studio 60 Theatre will open up one hour prior to each show and sell tickets based on availability.

Share and discuss “Wharton Center to welcome 60/50 Theatre Project ” on social media.