Teen charged with death of MSU student agrees to plea deal

ST. JOHNS, Mich., — Tyrel Bredernitz, the second Saline, Mich., teen charged with the death of MSU sophomore Dustyn Frolka, no longer faces life in prison for his involvement in Frolka's death.

Bredernitz, who previously refused to take a plea deal, agreed to one today, Clinton County Prosecutor Charles Sherman said in court.

As a stipulation of the agreement, Bredernitz would testify against alleged co-conspirator Brendan Heim, and be sentenced to no more than 38 years in jail.

Bredernitz's attorney Kerry Cole said the minimum sentence could be somewhere between 180 to 330 months, or up to the maximum of 38 years. Without the agreement, Bredernitz could have faced life in prison.

Bredernitz is charged with felony murder, armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery and is being held without bond in Clinton County jail.

Heim, a second teen charged with Frolka's death, is still awaiting trial. The third teen charged with Frolka's death, Samantha Grigg, was sentenced in late May to six to 15 years in prison.

All three teens are facing charges associated with the events of Feb. 15, when the three allegedly participated in a robbery gone wrong.

According to previous testimony by Grigg, the three teens drove to Frolka's residence with the intent to rob Frolka. While the trio was driving, they allegedly assaulted Frolka, beating him with brass knuckles. Frolka reportedly jumped from the vehicle onto the highway, where he later died from his injuries.

Bredernitz said he did not know Heim had brass knuckles until “the punching began,” he said in court. When asked to detail the events of Frolka's death, Bredernitz was overcome with emotion and unable to. He deferred to his attorney.

Cole said he had no comment on the plea.

Heim will appear in court on Oct. 13 for his trial. 

Bredernitz will appear in court again for sentencing in November. 

Share and discuss “Teen charged with death of MSU student agrees to plea deal ” on social media.