Student business incubator expands workspace

On Monday the Hatch, a student work space for student entrepreneurs, opened a newly-expanded workspace at 325 Grand River Ave. after a donation from the MSU Federal Credit Union.

MSUFCU provided the Hatch with a three-year gift, funding the workspace's growth from 1,135 square feet to 2,549. 

The Hatch is an office space for students attempting to start their own businesses. Once a student's application is approved, for the price of the workspace key they receive 24/7 access, free Wi-Fi, coffee, printing options and start-up funds, the Hatch attempts to give students the tools to get business ideas off the ground.

According to their website, the Hatch Program's mission is to "generate and advance the culture of entrepreneurship in the community and to expand the knowledge-based economy in the market, focusing on student entrepreneurs."

Paul Jaques, director of student and community engagement at Spartan Innovations said the Hatch is "an incubator" for businesses.

"Students come to me and pitch their ideas," Jacques said. "I've been called the 'mini-Shark Tank.'"

On top of the standard office services at the Hatch, there is also a team of interns and fellows who range from web design to finance who are in house to assist students, Jacques said. He also said students get "free money" provided by MSU in the form of endowments. The two endowments are provided by the Rollin M. Gerstacker Foundation and the Forest Akers Trust.

MSUFCU Chief Operating Officer April Clobes explained that the credit union has been more than a benefactor for the Hatch.

"We have been a partner of the Hatch for a few years," Clobes said. "Part of our partnership is to provide financially oriented education to the students who are involved with the Hatch and that includes helping the students understand about forming a business plan to what its like receiving a start up loan."

MSUFCU also helped decorate and design the entrance space to the Hatch, which also functions as a collaborative space. 

While the Hatch's main purpose is to educate students and prepare them for the business world, one of MSUFCU's functions is to provide students with a "startUP" loan once they have grown to the point where the endowments are no longer enough to sustain their business.

"The Hatch is really designed to bring those students together to create their idea and they will help them move it forward in the process to help them create their business," Clobes said. "We are here to help the students be successful with their startup plan and idea and hopefully launch their idea to reality, whether that is advice and information or a business loan that could help them launch the program."

Clobes explained that the small amount of requirements such as minimal loan history is what makes the startUP loan a good option for student entrepreneurs.

Students interested in the Hatch's resources can register by applying on their website and can find more information in their handbook.

Share and discuss “Student business incubator expands workspace” on social media.