Taxicab authority will bring regulation to cabs, but at a cost

A taxicab authority approved by the East Lansing City Council will provide more regulations to taxicab drivers in the city — but may increase the cost of fares.

East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett said a taxicab authority would benefit both drivers and riders.ap

“Creating the Greater Lansing Taxicab Authority will allow us to have one uniform license, and requirements and regulations of taxicabs,” Triplett said.ap

The authority will eliminate unnecessary bureaucracy when licensing taxicabs, Triplett said.ap

The plan for taxicab authority was created after officials from Lansing and East Lansing realized the differences of regulations in the neighboring cities.ap

“Lansing and East Lansing both have different rules, and at times we reach different conclusions of who should be licensed to drive a cab,” Triplett said.ap

Although regulations might create a safer resource for riders, price increases might affect students.

EZ Taxi owner Eric Penrose said a taxicab authority would be helpful, but its implementation will have an impact on riders and drivers.ap

One of Penrose’s concerns is regarding the implementation of meters in different taxicabs.ap

“The rate is going to be more — it’s going to affect everybody if you are going to put meters,” Penrose said.ap

Penrose said that with the meters, drivers would incur more expenses because of the meter maintenance.ap

But Triplett said adding meters will help riders identify reliable taxicabs.

“The objective is to make sure that we have a pricing system that is fair and transparent to riders,” Triplett said.ap

Neuroscience sophomore Erica Meissner thinks that the creation of a taxicab authority will benefit students.ap

“You can’t go wrong with regulating something that so many students use,” Meissner said.ap

However, Meissner said that the increase in fares would make students opt for other options.ap

“I think students will still use it because they kind of have to,” Meissner said. “But I think it will steer people away from using it.”ap

One of the different options available for students is the ride-sharing service, Uber.ap

“I’m an Uber user myself,” Triplett said. “I’ve used it in our community and in cities across the country and I find it very convenient.”ap

When asked about the safeness of Uber, Triplett said riders would have to make a choice of what means of transportation they will use.ap

“I think that every student and rider has to make a determination by themselves,” Triplett said.ap

Uber will have a different set of regulations under the taxicab authority.ap

Penrose said the implementation of the authority and the ride-sharing services makes the different taxicabs in the city treat their customers better.ap

“Taxis have to get better or Uber for sure will have it,” Penrose said.

Share and discuss “Taxicab authority will bring regulation to cabs, but at a cost” on social media.