Students get useful experiences from studying abroad

<p>Global studies in the arts and humanities junior Rachel Sherwin cooks crepes on Sept. 9, 2014, at the Rather Hall community kitchen. Sherwin learned this recipe while studying abroad in Europe. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News. </p>

Global studies in the arts and humanities junior Rachel Sherwin cooks crepes on Sept. 9, 2014, at the Rather Hall community kitchen. Sherwin learned this recipe while studying abroad in Europe. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News.

Photo by Jessalyn Tamez | The State News

Out of the many study abroad programs offered at MSU, some students bring home interesting techniques or skills they picked up while studying abroad.

Psychology junior Abbie Jankelovitz studied in Australia this past summer and attended a Down Under sports program that focused on running. The program taught her different techniques on how to train and strengthen her core.

“I took what I learned there from their trainers and brought it back to my running here (America) as a sport. I’ve noticed that I’ve gotten better.”

Something unique gained from traveling abroad is the local cuisine. MSU students have brought recipes home to share with friends and families. Global studies in the arts and humanities junior Rachel Sherwin visited Paris in 2013 and took a cooking class because it was something she enjoyed doing.

“Once I learned how to cook crepes, that was all I cooked. I made them for my boyfriend the whole summer.”

In South Africa, Chinese and global studies in the arts and humanities junior Michael Robinson chose took notice to the prevalence of the cultural differences between there South Africa and America. He observed that Americans tend to be louder than what is considered polite in South Africa, and this was displayed by the many stares him and other study abroad students received.

“I have since kept more of an awareness for the more subtle cultural differences whenever I travel.”

Rachel's crepe recipe

1 cup flour

½ cup milk

½ cup water

2 eggs

2 tbsp melted butter

pinch of salt

makes 6-8 crepes

Start out with flour in bowl, add egg and mix thoroughly. Add in milk, water, and butter. In a pan, set to medium heat and add butter to pan to serve as a nonstick base. Pour enough batter into the pan to cover the entire surface, but only a thin layer, not as thick as a pancake. Let crepe absorb butter that was previously added to the pan. You may notice bubbles. Flip after one minute, flip once more after about 30 seconds.

Share and discuss “Students get useful experiences from studying abroad” on social media.