Students, faculty members express admiration for graffiti on campus

Art is a subjective topic, leaving the viewer to find meaning and judge the work. However, when art clashes with destruction of property, consequences can be brutal.

Campus features plenty of graffiti, with some locations, such as bridges and dumpsters, being hotspots for such activity.

One such location is the bridge on Farm Lane near the rock. The underbelly of this structure is tagged with layers and layers of words, symbols, art and images.

But if the graffiti is inappropriate, MSU’s Infrastructure Planning and Facilities’ landscape services department removes it.

“If the graffiti is offensive or vulgar, we take care of it immediately,” said Kim Consavage, a utility worker for the department.

Consavage added she is aware of the locations across campus that commonly have graffiti. However, sticker graffiti currently is an issue for the department.

“One of our biggest problems right now is stickers,” Consavage said. “People tend to stick them on anything that they will stick on, for example: signs, hand railings and light poles. The removal is very time-consuming. We consider stickers graffiti... due to the fact that it is also defacing campus property.”

Consavage said, “I have had the privilege of working on campus for 25 years, and it is beautiful and we want to help keep it that way.”

Professor of writing, rhetoric, and American culture Danielle Nicole DeVoss said the bridge is an “absolutely beautiful space,” and seems to have been designated as “the graffiti space” on campus.

“Graffiti can be a form of public artwork,” DeVoss said.

Occupational therapy senior Gloria Abron added that she appreciates the graffiti.

“I love under the bridge. It’s so fun. It changes ... every so often,” Abron said.

Abron said she knows someone who has graffitied on campus, but that she would not consider doing so herself.

Journalism sophomore Julie Dunmire said people are going to graffiti no matter what. So, having a place where they can go and keep it contained is a good idea.

“I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, to be completely honest,” Dunmire said. “It’s contained.”

Share and discuss “Students, faculty members express admiration for graffiti on campus” on social media.