Professionals celebrate American Business Women's Day

Today marks the 31st American Business Women’s Day, and MSU’s Eli Broad College of Business continues to play its part in supporting women in business.

“Talent, energy, new ideas, (and) innovation,” are what American Business Women’s Association Executive Director Rene Street said women bring to the business workforce and why they deserve to be recognized.

American Business Women’s Day was created when President Ronald Reagan signed a joint Congressional resolution in 1983, Street said. The holiday is meant to celebrate all women business owners and women in business.

Acting MBA Division Director at the Broad College of Business Cheri DeClercq said she thinks recognition of women's accomplishments should be recognized on a regular basis and not just on a designated day.

While only 27 percent of the business college's student population is women, “Many unique opportunities are available to female students, and their contributions make a positive impact on the school’s reputation,” the college’s website said.

The business college's website also highlighted several associations and resources available for female business students.

"I don't tend to feel that women should be given special privileges, just equal privileges," DeClercq said.

The ABWA is also devoted to helping women learn and grow, Street said. The association’s educational fund has provided 17,000 scholarships to women pursuing a business education nationwide.

The roots of this national holiday trace back to World War II, when women filled men’s positions and were not eager to return to their traditional roles in society after the war ended, Street said.

Kayla Holcomb, La Bodega manager, said she believes women bring the same level of talent and drive to the workplace as men, but perhaps women are more creative in their approach.

DeClercq said women sometimes have a more empathetic way of looking at situations, which can lead to a more collaborative environment.

Sept. 22 is also the 65th anniversary of the ABWA, Street said.

Share and discuss “Professionals celebrate American Business Women's Day” on social media.