New Fairchild Theatre showcases talent

<p>Schyler Sheltrown and Zaikuan Song perform during Fairchild Fanfare, part of the showcase series, on Sept. 13, 2014, at the Fairchild Theatre. The show featured a variety of music from classical to jazz. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Schyler Sheltrown and Zaikuan Song perform during Fairchild Fanfare, part of the showcase series, on Sept. 13, 2014, at the Fairchild Theatre. The show featured a variety of music from classical to jazz. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

According to David Rayl, MSU professor of music and director of choral programs , this event was intended to serve as a proper dedication concert for the newly renovated Fairchild Theatre that was completed last fall.

As a multi-use facility for the College of Music, Rayl said this concert was designed to showcase all of the musical groups that utilize this space for their concerts and other performances throughout the year.

Sponsored by President Lou Anna K. Simon and her husband Roy Simon, this event consisted of both faculty members and student performers who represented the unique style of music that the audience could expect to hear at each type of concert.

“For people who are curious about what kinds of concerts the College of Music produces, this event is a great way to hear a little bit of everything,” Rayl said.

The showcase opened with the  University Chorale and included three performances from faculty members including a viola and cello duet, a piano soloist, and a woodwind quintet.

The concert also showcased the musical abilities of many students in two opera performances and the MSU Jazz Faculty and Student Septet that concluded the show.

First year graduate student Schyler Sheltrown performed in an opera piece with five other students and said she was thrilled to be part of an event that exposes such a wide spectrum of music to the audience.

“It’s a really great experience to get a taste of all the different kinds of music and genres that classical music encompasses,” Sheltrown said.

In addition to the variety of music, Sheltrown said the renovation of Fairchild Theatre has significantly transformed the quality and atmosphere of the performances. Due to the reconstruction of the acoustics, the sound can clearly project into the audience and accommodate musical ensembles of all different sizes.

Music education junior Andrew Keiser said he enjoyed hearing some of his professors perform, while also supporting the other students at such a diverse hall.

“You saw a little bit of everything, and it was a great event for every part of the College of Music to be represented,” Keiser said.

Share and discuss “New Fairchild Theatre showcases talent” on social media.