MSU ranked No. 9 in ESPN College Basketball Future Power Rankings

<p>Senior guard Keith Appling, left, congratulates sophomore guard Denzel Valentine on making a free throw Jan. 21, 2014, at Breslin Center during the game against Indiana. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 71-66. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Senior guard Keith Appling, left, congratulates sophomore guard Denzel Valentine on making a free throw Jan. 21, 2014, at Breslin Center during the game against Indiana. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 71-66. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Even in the heart of football season, ESPN has begun turning its eyes to colder weather, and college basketball.

MSU was ranked No. 9 in a recent future power rankings analysis, behind ESPN's paywall. The Spartans lost last season in the elite eight of the NCAA tournament to eventual champion Connecticut.

The Spartans rank highest in the Big Ten, one spot ahead of Michigan and two spots ahead of Ohio State.

"The Spartans aren't winning the title this season," ESPN.com college basketball writer Any Katz said in the article. "But don't cancel out the next few."

Duke was ranked highest of any team in the country, followed by Kansas and Kentucky.

MSU tips off its season on Friday, November 14 against Navy in the Veterans Classic. 

Share and discuss “MSU ranked No. 9 in ESPN College Basketball Future Power Rankings” on social media.