MSU Dairy Store will release new flavors related to Big Ten football

<p>Kinesology freshman Ceci Kieliszewski takes psychology freshman Sydney Rivard's order Sept. 15, 2014, at the Dairy Store in Anthony Hall. Students are able to order ice cream and cheeses that are processed on Michigan State's campus. Aerika Williams/The State News </p>

Kinesology freshman Ceci Kieliszewski takes psychology freshman Sydney Rivard's order Sept. 15, 2014, at the Dairy Store in Anthony Hall. Students are able to order ice cream and cheeses that are processed on Michigan State's campus. Aerika Williams/The State News

Buckeye Blitz, Dantonio’s Double Fudge Fake and Illini Orange Crush are just a few of the Big Ten theme-flavored ice cream at the MSU Dairy Store. While these flavors might be favorites of hungry Spartans, dairy store regulars should keep an eye out for new flavors this fall.

Throughout the football season, the dairy store plans to unveil an ice cream flavor for each Big Ten football team MSU will play.

“This fall is special because we have those new flavors coming,” said biomedical lab diagnostics senior Morgan Tuthill, the dairy store's supervisor at Anthony Hall. “They’re not released yet; they’re probably going to be released closer to when we actually play those teams.”

The Anthony Hall location of the dairy store rotates 32 different flavors of ice cream, while the Union location rotates 20, but the MSU Dairy Store as a whole has more than 40 different flavors.

Tuthill said there will be more flavors in the winter, but the current customer favorites for this fall are Sesquicentennial Swirl and Spiced Pumpkin. She cited her personal favorites, White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl and Wildcat Crunch, as the hidden gems of the dairy store.

When football Saturdays approach at the MSU Dairy Store, fan loyalty runs deeper than just rooting for their team on game day.

“A lot of people come in and really like that it has all the Big Ten flavors," Tuthill said. "That’s a huge thing. I feel like that draws a lot of people here, especially on game days. People are always wanting the flavor of their team. Some people won’t even look at any other flavor besides their team, even if they hate the flavor. It’s a little ridiculous.”

Also, now that the fall semester has started and the cold weather is rolling in, students can finally head over to the MSU Dairy Store for Grilled Cheese Mondays and soup. Ice cream is still available, however, true Spartans may want to stay away from Maize-N-Berry.

According to Tuthill, Grilled Cheese Mondays are a hit once the fall semester starts.

“We go crazy on Grilled Cheese Mondays," Tuthill said. "That’s a big thing; you get a free tomato soup."

Share and discuss “MSU Dairy Store will release new flavors related to Big Ten football” on social media.