Political community members gather to remember 9/11, partisanship aside

<p>Business hospitality senior Lydia Olson holds a lit candle to memorialize those lost in 9/11 on Sept. 11, 2014, at the Rock on Farm Lane. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Business hospitality senior Lydia Olson holds a lit candle to memorialize those lost in 9/11 on Sept. 11, 2014, at the Rock on Farm Lane. Raymond Williams/The State News

Photo by Raymond Williams | The State News

When all were gathered around the rock on Farm Lane and the candles were being lit, political parties were forgotten. 

Thursday night, MSU College Republicans and MSU College Democrats put politics aside and met at the rock on Farm Lane for their annual 9/11 memorial service. The organizations also painted the rock together Wednesday night, giving it the appearance of an American flag.

Jankowski began by calling it a “unity event” and several in attendance shared their perspective on the national tragedy. 

A Republican MSU Board of Trustees candidate, Jeff Sakwa was one of them. 

“As terrible as 9/11 was, I think it brought us together. We weren’t black. We weren’t white. We all simply Americans that day,” Sakwa said. “Everyone cares when it was too late. I’ve thought about this — why couldn’t we be like this before the attack?”

Next, another Republican MSU Board of Trustees candidate Melanie Foster spoke.

“I was about your age when President John F. Kennedy was shot. I remember where I was when I heard the news. So in a way, I know how you must have felt,” Foster said.

She then called for a moment of silence, which was echoed by Jankowski. Then, to break the silence, apparel and textile design senior and  gospel singer Kalieha Stapleton sang the national anthem.

Tori Whiting can remember exactly what she felt on Sept. 11, 2001.

“I thinks it’s really important, especially for young people (to remember),” said Whiting, vice president of MSU College Republicans. “I can remember everything that happened on the day 9/11 happened.”

Whiting and others across campus have not forgotten the tragedy of the events, and the history of the date is so moving it has the power to bring together students from opposing political parties. 

Earlier that day, Just miles from campus in Lansing, employees, representatives, law enforcement and firefighters gathered in the Michigan State Capitol House chamber to also honor those lost in the attacks.

The ceremony consisted of the House Speaker Jase Bolger  honoring first responders from around the state.

This nonpartisan memorial was dedicated to citizens and first responders who were killed when the Twin Towers fell. Brighton Area Fire Chief Michael O’Brian  was very appreciative of the event.

“It’s a great tribute for the House to take the time to remember those in 9/11,” O’Brian said. “It was very simple and very patriotic.”

MSU College Democrats President Brianna Shamsuddoha said the memorial event was a very special tradition both organizations value. It is part of their “Never Forget” movement, and the bi-partisan memorial has been a tradition for the four years she’s been in college, she said.

“I think [9/11] is a very impactful event if you lost family, or even just being an American citizen,” Shamsuddoha said. “It is a defining moment of our childhood. Every year we remember, and right now, nothing else matters. Today there are no parties, we are just fellow Americans.”

MSU College Republicans President Lisa Jankowski  said her organization has been memorializing 9/11 for eight years and both groups began working together for several years. She said they will always remember those who died on 9/11.

“Thirteen years ago, 2,977 Americans were taken from us in a vicious attack” Jankowski said. “We choose to continue the tradition of remembering the anniversary of 9/11 because it is a reminder that despite political views, we are all Americans.”

Finally, to end the night, the crown socialized and eventually dispersed, not as political rivals, but as Americans.

Share and discuss “Political community members gather to remember 9/11, partisanship aside” on social media.