Conquering college — and mental health

<p>Jacob Sailor</p>

Jacob Sailor

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

Even in the most ideal scenarios, stepping into university life is stressful. Whether you are a lifelong resident of the community or one of the newly relocated, there is sure to be culture shock. And an adjustment period, which no amount of denying or partying can ward off, will set in. It’s change. It’s difficult. Even the strongest of us will face a trial or two before midterms start to creep around the corner.

Among all the variables in what could go wrong or right are mental health disorders. Despite the ever-growing awareness of clinical depression and anxiety disorder, it is not uncommon to find an individual who completely misunderstands both. That individual will usually offer a cure: encouraging the inflicted to “cheer up” or “just calm down.” That is about as effective as suggesting a drowning individual to just try drinking a lot.

Dealing with depression in a college setting is not an easy thing to face. Some solidly argue that it could be near the top on the list of things that will make an academic career terrible, but it doesn’t have to be.

Recognizing the issue and accepting it will get you farther through the door — a figurative door that separates perpetual sadness and contentment — than anything else. From there, it’s all a question of how you want to tackle the issue.

For me, when faced with the question of how to handle my problems, I sought out a doctor. WebMD probably would’ve just lead me to think I had cancer. After explaining my concerns, I was presented with a few choices: medication, lifestyle adjustments or therapy.

All three of those options may sound unappealing, but accepting a helping hand isn’t shameful — humbling, but not shameful.

Every case is special and no two people are alike, so what’s worked for me might not be right for you. But the initial step of taking this challenge head-on and getting the help you need is something I couldn’t encourage more. Research from the National Alliance on Mental Illness shows that the stigma surrounding mental health is the main reason college students don’t address potential disorders.

Sure, some people might think there’s something wrong or weird with it. But as misunderstood and as personal of a topic it is, you don’t need to face it alone. After all, why not enjoy the college experience without a nagging, depressing cloud hanging over your head and spoiling every moment? Reaching out won’t be the worst idea you ever have — not in college.

Jacob Sailor is a longtime East Lansing resident and graduate of Siena Heights University. Reach him atjacobdsailor@gmail.com.

Share and discuss “Conquering college — and mental health” on social media.