Leah O'Connor shines in 25th annual Auto-Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational

<p>Junior Leah O'Connor reaches the finish line the Spartan Invitational on Sept. 12, 2014, at Forest Akers East Golf Course, 2280 South Harrison Road, in East Lansing, Mich.  O'Connor finished first with a time of 21:03. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Junior Leah O'Connor reaches the finish line the Spartan Invitational on Sept. 12, 2014, at Forest Akers East Golf Course, 2280 South Harrison Road, in East Lansing, Mich. O'Connor finished first with a time of 21:03. Raymond Williams/The State News

Photo by Raymond Williams | The State News

Cross-country hosted its 25th annual Auto-Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational last Friday, consisting of 30 teams from across Michigan.

After coming back from their tough meet in Eugene, Ore., the team took their home meet as more of a conditioning practice than a highly intensive competition. Head coach Walt Drenth wanted the athletes to focus on the performance for the overall team instead of individuals excelling.

“I thought we did a nice job as a team, both groups, and followed race plans. One of our primary objectives was to try and stay together a little better and I think we followed that pretty well,” Drenth said.

With that motive, the Spartans excelled. Senior Leah O’Connor won the Spartan Invitational with a time of 21:03. This is the second consecutive year that she has won home event.

“We never get to go to races where there is this much support and everybody on the course really wants you to do well. It’s just really fun,” O’Connor said. “Fortunately, as a pack we have been able to run near the front together. Today, there were some really strong runners on the field that kept the pace from the beginning and that was really great.”

Junior Rachele Schulist (21:05), junior Lindsay Clark (21:19) and senior Sara Kroll (21:24) ran second, third and fourth, respectively during their 6K race. The men were led by junior Caleb Rhynard (24:40) who ran in third, followed by senior Ben Carruthers (24:42) in sixth and sophomore Nick Soter (24:46) ninth during their 8K.

“We were roughly where we wanted to be,” Rhynard said. “We just wanted to be as a squad, just as a team as close to the front as possible, and we did that for a majority of the race.”

The team focused on making the Spartan Invitational a “fun” race, having fans surrounding the course. According to O’Connor, “The energy was really good,” there was a high number of supports where fans want you to succeed.

“It’s our home meet so it gives us the chance to represent Michigan State at Michigan State, so that’s really fun,” Schulist said. “I look forward for the chance to wear the jersey. On the home course, it’s a good feeling to hear ‘go greens’ and be able to run as a pack.”

Drenth expressed his happiness with the outcome, along with how the from women and men worked together with the middlemen during the races.

“We have to think about the group as a whole and if we want to be good as a team,” Drenth said. “

Share and discuss “Leah O'Connor shines in 25th annual Auto-Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational” on social media.