Student organization works to assist homeless expecting mothers

MSU student organization FAMILY will hold a baby shower for pregnant homeless women.

Electrical engineering senior Keyon Clinton and six colleagues started FAMILY, which stands for Forget About Me, I Love You, in hopes of giving back to the community by assisting homeless expecting mothers at Hannah's House of Lansing

A community-wide baby shower will be held for the residents of Hannah's House, but a date has not been determined.

Other services will be provided to the mothers such as raising funds for donation, diaper drives, baby food and clothes drives. The students will also clean up the house to make best suitable for living.

The organization was launched at Spartan Remix where 85 students signed up. Additionally, more than 200 students signed up at Sparticipation.

Everyone who attends the club's meetings will be an official member of the FAMILY. Clinton said the goal is give back to community and graduate MSU knowing that members have gained brothers and sisters.

Family is a concept Clinton holds dear to his heart, he said. During his time at MSU, it became clear to Clinton that not everyone has the family they want or deserve.

“Family has no color in it. So if we all move collectively, we can achieve the American dream,” Clinton said.

FAMILY will be meeting Thursday night at 7 p.m. in Holmes Hall room C106. 

Editor's note: This article has been corrected. Keyon Clinton was erroneously referred to as Keyon Smith.

Share and discuss “Student organization works to assist homeless expecting mothers” on social media.