Four takeaways from MSU football's loss to Oregon

Despite loss, Spartans can find positives

<p>Junior quarterback Connor Cook communicates with his team during the game against Oregon on Sept. 6, 2014, at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. The Spartans lost to the Ducks, 46-27. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior quarterback Connor Cook communicates with his team during the game against Oregon on Sept. 6, 2014, at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. The Spartans lost to the Ducks, 46-27. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

No. 2 Oregon ripped off 28 consecutive points in the second half to break the hearts of many Spartans, topping No. 13 MSU, 46-27, from Autzen Stadium on Saturday.

MSU held a lead all the way up until the final minutes of the third quarter, but simply couldn’t hold on to earn that program-changing win. But not all was bad for Sparty from Saturday’s disappointing loss. Here are four takeaways from MSU’s loss to the Ducks:

Need to capitalize on opportunities

The Spartan offense looked like the tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on Saturday — moving the ball but failing to capitalize.

Outside of the first possession, MSU moved the ball consistently throughout the first half, but didn’t always cash in. On three straight first quarter possessions MSU got as far as its own 46 yard line before the drive sputtered. In the second half MSU also couldn’t put up points after getting to the Oregon 23 and 31 yard line, with a turnover on downs and interception ending the drives.

Following the game, junior quarterback Connor Cook said the offense needed to take advantage of the opportunities at hand. With plenty more big-time matchups on the schedule, MSU will need to improve its ability to finish drives when moving the ball to experience success in 2014.

Turnovers doomed Spartans

The turnover battle always plays a role in football, and that rises even more when playing on the road against a team like Oregon.

Cook threw a couple of interceptions, both of which were forced into tight coverage, and MSU couldn’t convert on fourth down and two late in the fourth quarter. MSU couldn’t afford to give Oregon’s explosive offense extra possessions, with both interceptions resulting in either Oregon points or points off the board for MSU.

Turnovers weren’t an issue for MSU a year ago, and sustain that same success the Spartans will need to continue that trend.

Lippett = game changer

Senior wide receiver Tony Lippett is quickly emerging as one of the best wideouts in the Big Ten. Lippett built off his impressive week one production with a just as solid game against Oregon on Saturday. Lippett led the team with 11 receptions for 133 yards and one touchdown.

Lippett now has compiled 300 receiving yards and three touchdowns in just two games this season. That puts him nearly halfway to the number of receiving yards he had a year ago, and his three scores already tops the two he had all last season.

Not all hope is lost

It’s easy to get caught up in the significance of this loss to Oregon, but by no means is it time to jump overboard.

“Our goals and my goal has always been to get that Big Ten championship game and springboard to what we can do from there,” head coach Mark Dantonio said during a teleconference on Sunday. “When there have been difficulties, or what I call storms, we have been able to push through those storms and come out the back end successfully.”

The College Football Playoff is still on the table for MSU but a perfect 11-0 record, including Big Ten championship game, down the stretch will be needed to even be in the conversation. While it’s a tall task, MSU did regroup from an early season loss last year to Notre Dame to finish 13-1 and earn Big Ten and Rose Bowl championships.

A spot in the inaugural College Football Playoff won’t be easy to obtain, but it’s a possibility for the green-and-white.

Share and discuss “Four takeaways from MSU football's loss to Oregon” on social media.